Summary: 51st message from Ephesians continuing a discussion of the Holy Spirit's ministry.
“The Fruit of Living by the Spirit”
I. Names and Titles of the Holy Spirit
II. Origin of the Holy Spirit
III. Nature and Character of the Holy Spirit
IV. References to the Holy Spirit
V. The Holy Spirit’s Ministry in the Old Testament
VI. The Holy Spirit’s Ministry in the New Testament
A. The Holy Spirit’s Ministry with Jesus
B. The Holy Spirit’s ministry in people before Pentecost
C. The Holy Spirit’s Ministry AT Pentecost
D. The Holy Spirit’s Ministry related to Conversion
1. Regeneration (Inner Core Change)
Initial life (regeneration) comes through the Holy Spirit.
Continual renewal also comes by the work of the Holy Spirit; our perpetual prefect pastor.
E. Work related to Sanctification
• If you want to understand and communicate God’s truth -- you need the Holy Spirit.
• If you want to have inner assurance concerning truth and error -- it comes by the Spirit.
• If you long for inner assurance concerning your SONSHIP and relationship with God.
• If you want an effective prayer life -- it is when we pray in the Spirit.
• If you want specific direction that will bring eternal benefits -- listen to the Holy Spirit.
• If you desire boldness to witness to the lost and proclaim truth to the saints -- it is by the power of the Holy Spirit.
• If you crave continual transformation in the soul that makes you more like Christ every day -- it is the Spirit who renews our soul as we yield to His direction.
New Life, Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
• If you long for a hope, joy and peace that transcend any tribulation -- it can be found.
• If you want close fellowship with other saints that transcends surface relationship – you need the Holy Spirit.
• If you wish for inner power and strength that leads to the fullness of God – it begins with the Spirit’s power strengthening the inner man.
• If you seek daily victory over the demands and pressures of the flesh -- it is the Spirit who wars against the flesh and it is by His power we put to death the deed of the flesh.
• If you want to experience genuine response to God in genuine worship -- worship in the Spirit.
• If you want to know a supernatural perseverance in tribulation --The HS is always there.
In addition to the Holy Spirit’s work with individual members of the body of Christ, He also ministers to the church, the body of Christ, as a whole.
F. The Holy Spirit’s ministry to the Church – the body of Christ
So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and, going on in the fear of the Lord and in the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase. Acts 9:31
in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit. Ephes. 2:22
2. Leadership appointment and gifting
And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. 4So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus. Acts 13:2-4
Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. Acts 20:28
And He gave (to the church) some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastor/teachers, 12for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fulness of Christ. Ephes. 4:11-13
3. Spiritual gifts
As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:10-11
We gave considerable time to the subject of gifting earlier in Ephesians. Refer to the notes from message 23 and 24
G. The Holy Spirit’s ministry to the “World”.