Summary: The psalmist believe his life is amazing because of God he has steadfast love, strength, answers to prayer, and he has help and comfort. Man is my life looking Good.
Psalm 86:1-17 “Looking Good”
1. David Request Gods attention
• David says, "Incline your ear, O LORD" (v. 1), found frequently in the Psalter (e.g., 10:17; 17:6; 31:2; 71:2; 88:2). The figure of inclining the ear (cocking the head? turning the head to hear better?)
• The Psalmist says, "for I am poor and needy" the psalmist is simply saying that he needs help badly.
2. David truly believes God is able to do anything above and beyond what ever can happen to him hear the following verses ("For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God," v. 10 in today's psalm).
• He believes God has the ability to Guard his life
• David strongly feels God has the strength to save him because he is his servant
• He believes God is not a God to a broad audience such as a nation but David says, “You are my God; (God is personable) 3 have mercy on me, Lord, for I call to you all day long.
3. David feels as a believer he has some Perks, Benefits, blessings as a result of trusting in God
• David’s first perk as a believer is “Steadfast Love” Psalm 86 tells us that God is "good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love" (v. 5).
• This is an amazing gift because most of the love we experience in life is fleeting and emotional. Of course, the word "love" can mean a number of different things.
• As one person said, "I love everybody. Some I love to be around. Some I love to avoid. And others I would love to punch in the face." God's love is steadfast and consistent, firm and unwavering. It is based on God's character, and it expresses God's generosity, faithfulness and mercy. That's why the psalm says that God is "good and forgiving," always seeking to lift our guilt, heal our hearts and be in right relationship with us.
4. Another Perk that David has as a believer is “strength” . "Turn to me and be gracious to me," asks the psalm-writer; "give your strength to your servant" (v. 16).
• This verse is peculiar note he ask not for God's strengthening but he asks to have God strength. Strengthening is not the same as God's strength. God's strength is unique -- it's what makes God God, after all -- and the notion of God giving that unique strength to anyone is not found anywhere in the Bible except in this passage.
• One psalm say God gives strength to his people.
• Isaiah says, He gives strength to the weary, Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
• Zechariah says, "I will strengthen the house of Judah,
• The Psalmist request your strength (God Strength) , strength that creates, strength that raises the dead, strength that can do anything.
5. Yet another Perk that David has gained because of being a follower is God answers my prayers
• The psalm-writer says that "in the day of my trouble I call on you, for you will answer me" (v. 7).
• Sarah Coakly Theologian says that when we pray, "things do start to happen: one is being transformed, one's whole life is being drawn to God the results once we thought we were completely unconnected suddenly we become vibrantly connected." We suddenly realize, says Coakley, "that we are seeing and knowing and responding to the world in ways that we didn't before."
6. Finally, God offers his servants the perk of help and comfort. Psalm 86 concludes with the writer saying that "you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me" (v. 17).
• When Jesus spoke to his disciples on the night before his own death, he promised that the Holy Spirit would come to them. Jesus said, "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever" (John 14:16). The Greek word for "advocate" is paraklçton, a word that can be translated "helper" or "comforter." It also has the thought of "drawing alongside." The Holy Spirit helps and comforts us by walking beside us, as it were, as we journey through life.
7. Man aren’t we looking good we have the perk of steadfast Love, we are looking good we have God type strength, were looking good we have God who answers our prayers, and we are looking good because we have help and comfort in this life of trouble God goes with us through all things. If God is not your guide let him lead you.