Summary: The sermon shares the world takes, Jesus gives, and love lifted me.
1 John 3:16-24 “Love Lifted Me”
1. The world lives to take :
• The world Takes Jesus says remember Cain he took life12 Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous.
• Don’t live the way the world lives the world Hates 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer,
• The world lives this way the world refuses to help John asks, "How does God's love abide in anyone who has the world's goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses to help. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?
• The author either knew or suspected that there were disciples in the community who were acting selfishly by refusing to share their possessions with those in need.
2. Jesus lived to Give
• Jesus gives life in abundance Jesus says, “ The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly”
• Jesus gave his life that we might encounter Life: He is the leader of life, the pioneer of life ,the author of life the pinnacle of life , the apex of life, the summit of life, for he himself is the resurrection “the giver of Life”
• Jesus offered his Life so he asks us to offer our life. Jesus laid down his life for us. love is known by means of Jesus' sacrificial death — vs 16 he is the one who "laid down his life for us." For that reason, "we ought to lay down our lives for one another". Offer our lives as a servant leaders, he washed the disciples feet, he ate with sinners, he gathered with lepers, he touched the dead , he healed blinded eyes, he healed the sick, he gave hope to hopelessness, Jesus simply offered we can’t do what he did but we can offer our presence, and our selves.
3. Jesus says we live because “Love Lifted Me”
• Love lifted me from death 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death we no longer abide in death
• Love lifted me from taking to be a giver one might say " not to give is incompatible with christian teaching. From the founding of the church on Pentecost to the generous saints in Macedonia and Achaia who sent gifts by Paul's hand to assist the poor in Jerusalem, Jesus' earliest disciples freely shared their possessions (acts 2:44;
• Love lifted me from “I can go this far, but I can’t go no further” God-like love knows no boundaries and sets no limits. It draws no lines. It never says, “This far and no farther!” True love is love without limits! If I really love you then no sacrifice is too great. (Ill. “Darling, I love you. I'd climb the highest mountain for you; I'd swim the deepest stream for you; I'd fight a jungle of lions for you; and if it doesn't rain, I'll be over to see you tonight.” –Alan Carr
• Love lifted me from an act less life Love has Actions Therefore; John reminds us, "Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action" (v. 18). Moreover, it is "by this we will know that we are from the truth"
• Love Lifted me from no confidence to confidence (assurance) we have confidence before God 22 that there is the possibility that we can receive anything we ask:.
• Love lifted me : to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.
• Love lifted me to hear the message that was from the beginning 11 For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.
4. In conclusion: The world lives to take, Jesus lived to give, and we live because Love has lifted me.
• 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. If we do not love we remain in death. Don’t remain lifeless live. Live for Jesus.