Summary: How does a Genuine Christian live. What does one look like? This sermon attempts to answer those questions
Marks of a Genuine Christian
1. When I was younger I worked at Boggies, We watched Golf Videos All Day long, I knew how to do everything they said, however I never did it, useless
2. Speaking of Useless everything that we have been learning In Hebrews is useless if it is not put it action.
3. This is section moves past telling you what you are suppose to do and tells you how to do it.
4. I have Five marks of a Genuine Christian
I. Compassion 1-2
i. Keep loving our brothers
1. You would think that would refer to a “Godly love”
2. This is talking about a love of affection sympathy kindness – You know compassion
3. The Greek work funny enough is Philadelphia,
a. Coming from Phileo for love
b. Adelphos meaning brother
ii. Vs 2. Entertaining Strangers
1. The Hotels back then were filled with fleas, cockroaches, and spiders…
2. However, worse then that they were also known as places of prostitution
3. The early Christian did not want to stay at one for fear of what people might think and to keep himself from evil
4. Therefore, a common practice as a Christian would be out of compassion to open your house to a Christian traveler.
i. We like to think that this idea of compassion is just something that is good to do
ii. It is commanded! God requires it!
iii. Doesn’t it bother you that the missionaries are getting their salary cut?
iv. Doesn’t it bother you that there are people starving
v. Doesn’t it bother you that people are dying everyday and go to hell?
vi. Where is the compassion?
vii. Are we just going to sit on our pews and say amen thank you Jesus and never do anything about it?
viii. When you are at work, what about you coworkers that are going through a tough time and do not know God? Where is the compassion?
i. There was a guy who wife delivered medical needs to a people who could not get out of their house. This one ladies house was a disaster so she got her husband involved…
II. Conflict (3)
i. Guess what? There is going to be conflict sometimes in the Christian life.
ii. The writer of Hebrews is telling us to remember those in jail who are being mistreated
iii. But not only that he wants you to feel there pain, “As if you yourselves were suffering”
i. You know what? We have been fed over and over again the word tolerance
ii. As Christian we have to be willing to call sin sin, right right, wrong wrong
iii. We do have absolutes
iv. Jesus came to earth and died for our sins, if we ask Him and Him only to save us, he will. If we don’t we will go to hell
v. Yes when you start saying that some people will get upset
vi. But that is the conflict that we need
i. Yesterday at Global Impact, The people who were trying to witness to someone and the choice comments that person made.
III. Commitment 4
i. Marriage is commitment
ii. You can not have a marriage without full commitment it will not work
iii. The author here is telling us that God will judge you for messing up marriage