Summary: A short meditation at the end of or presentation "From Prophesy to Fulfilment".
1. We have heard about the one who was born
- how the prophets foretold his coming
- how the cradle leads to the cross
- we prepare to light our candles to remember that X is God’s light
2. At end of Luke 2 the events of Chrit’s birth are complete
- Christ is born, the angels and the shepherds had come and were going
- it is the end of this day which the world wouldnever see again
- the Saviour had been born
- God came into our world
3.How did the people respond to what had happened?
- to what they had seen and heard?
- how do you respond to what you have seen and heard this evening?
4. There were those who heard what had happened from the shepherds
- they were amazed and overwhelmed at what they were told
- this was exciting - never had such a thing happened
- but as we know there excitement was short-lived
- like those who get caught up in the celebration of Christmas and all that surrounds it
- but after it is over, the lights and the trees are taken down and forgotten about until next year
- will you do the same with what you have heard and seen?
- will it soon be forgotten?
5. On the other hand the shepherds returned - glorifying God for all He had done
- God had fulfilled His promise and they shared that with those they came back to
6. Then there was Mary.
- tired and exhausted from the trip and from the birth
- and yet filled with wonder and awe
- Luke contrasts her reaction with that of the hearer who were amazed and overwhelmed
- vs. 19 begins with "on the other hand"
7. Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.
- she had more to think about than the others
- how Gabriel had come to her
- what the shepherds had told her and what the angels had sung
- she understood what it meant and yet she didn’t - could anyone
- and she had her baby at her side - the one who she would nurture
- and yet He did not belong to her - He belonged to his father God
8. And so she mulled over in her mind what happened and she held on to these things as a great treasure.
- there was a depth to them that she needed to process
9. We have heard the story many times.
- take it in again and think about what it means
- treasure it and hold on to it
- what has this child, this babe to do with you?
- do you receive Him as God Himself who came to save you?
- do you seek to know Him more?
- do you want to worship Him?
10. Oh, don’t give me an answer.
- just treasure up these thing and think about them
- not just today - but tomorrow and tomorrow and each day of your life