Summary: The message shares how Mary worshipped Jesus by pouring herself out, she worshipped as a result of what she believed, and she saw beyond the cross and tomb.
“Mary Worshipped?” John 12:1-8
• Mary, is the sister of Lazarus and Martha, they are dining at Simeon the Lepers House
• During a dinner in their home with Jesus and the disciples as guests, Mary anoints Jesus' feet with "a pound of costly perfume," and then wipes them with her hair.
• It is Mary during another visit from Jesus. Luke 10:38-42 tells us that during that time, Martha was busy with hospitality tasks, complained to Jesus because Mary, instead of helping her sister with the work, was sitting at Jesus' feet, listening to what he was saying.
• Jesus defends Mary's choice. In the Luke story, he says to Martha that Mary "has chosen the better part" In the text today, Judas says that the perfume should have been sold and the money given to the poor,
• Jesus says to him, "Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me."
1. Mary Worshipped Jesus by Pouring out herself
• She treasured the moments with Jesus (She valued Church)
• Paul valued the moments with Christ 2 Timothy 4:6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering. Paul gave Christ every ounce of himself.
• The Leper valued his moment . 2A man with leprosyA came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can…………. make me clean."
• A Ruler treasured the moment 18, a ruler came and knelt before him and said, "My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live."
2. Mary Worshipped Jesus by pouring the costly perfume because she believed Jesus was more than a man: Kings, Priests , and the Dead were anointed with oil.
• She believed He was a King but not Just a King 16On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
• She believed He was a Priest but not just a Priest, but the High Priest 31Therefore, holy brothers, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.
• Mary believed He would die, but she also believed he was the Resurrection: Mary recalled the words Jesus told Martha, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Jesus said in Revelation 1:18 I am the First and the Last. 18I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hell.
3. Mary worshipped by seeing beyond the Cross, beyond the Tomb, she was devoted enough to understand his words. Vs 7 "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."
4. Mary worshipped others could have but they were self-centered and not Christ-Centered theologian Alan Carr says,
• Lazarus was not worshipping but watching recall he was just raised from the dead
• Simeon the Leper in his house is the God of all creation He is watching not worshipping.