Summary: The text shares how God represents God self as a mothering type figure who brings comfort.
“Momma Said” Isaiah 66:13
Many people vision God as an old man with a beard. Scriptures encourage this by usually referring to God as He. But Scriptures also refer to God differently. Today’s reading is one of those texts that refer to God as a mother type. In Isaiah 66 :13 God is likened to a mother who brings comfort to a people who have. Been in exile "As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem" (v. 13)
1. What mothers do so well we find comfort knowing mom will have it all done?
• Washing ... cleaning ... trash disposal ... gifts ... social events ... decorating ... sewing ...
• mending ... cooking ... negotiating relationships ... caring for children ...working a
• Moms are also spiritual leaders. Mom does it all!
• Godly mothers encourage their children to be place makers make a place for Jesus. My
• Mother was always telling me to go to church.
2. Moms try so hard to prepare us for life moms give us comfort by being present with us
• -Forrest Gump said “My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'”
• Life is like that isn't it you never know what you're going to get
• But what we do know Mothers will be there to help prepare us and so will God
• God will never forsaken or abandon hear the following text:
• But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me, my Lord has forgotten me.' Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands." --Isaiah 49:14-16.
3. Forest Gumps mother said, “You have to do the best with what God gave you.” –
• Remember for many Life is difficult but God is good. but what ever our lot the Lord comforts because God guides. As an eagle stirs up its nest, and hovers over its young; as it spreads its wings, takes them up and bears them aloft on its pinions, the Lord alone guided him." Deu 32:11-12
4. Forest said, “My Mama always said you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on.”
• Paul said, “this one thing I do,forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,”
Jesus told Israel, “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" --Matthew 23:37.
5. "Momma always said dying was part of life I sure wish it wasn't"- Forest.
• Even this Our God comforts In the New Testament, Paul speaks of God as "the Father of mercies and the God of all consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction ..." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).
• And Revelation speaks of a final consolation for the people of God: "[God] will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4).
• Isaiah 66:13. "As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted
Let's allow God to encircle us with the arms of love and mercy
Let's feel the comforting presence of the Almighty.
Let's submit to the gentle touch and embrace of God as we are led through the rough patches of life.
Let's relax and stop resisting God's firm and persistent efforts to draw us into the comfort of the divine presence Amen. Forrest Gump would say "That's all I have to say about that."