Summary: Jesus is more than meets the eyes as he is transformed before the disciples eyes. Is he more than what we think or see?
"More than meets the eye." Mark 9:2-9
1. Jesus is more than meet the eyes
• The disciples saw Jesus as more than a man, He changed before their very eyes, He changed from a Rabbi to a God man
• He is holier than we imagined, He is better than we ever thought, He is greater than we assumed
• These three thought they knew Jesus, man were they awakened to something they never dreamed of.
2. Peter says, “it is good for us to be here” Peter had an idea who Jesus should be vs 5 . Let us put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." 6(He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)
• Timothy Merrill says, “We try to morph and manipulate him into something he's not, something that fits our agenda. And it's good for us to be confronted with the truth that Jesus is not who we've made him out to be. Not even close.”
• It good for us to be here because we try to transform Jesus into what we want him to be
• Pharisees wanted him to judge there way: They said the Law of Moses requires she be stoned, What do you say?
• Rich young ruler wanted him to say your good deeds are enough but Jesus said, “sell all you have and come follow me”
• Peter didn’t want him to suffer and die but without his suffering and death we are doomed. Mark 8:31He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
3. When we get to the right place we will know Jesus is more than meets the Eyes Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain The place today reading was a mountain
• WE will know Jesus is more than meets the eyes in this place when we become Cross bearers take up your cross
• WE will know Jesus is more than meets the eyes in the place of straight is the gate and narrow
• WE will know Jesus is more than meets the eyes in this place when we have a prayer life, when we read the Word, when we find the place of paying close attention to Jesus and Participating in activities, and finding a place of vigor, a place of determination, place of love for Jesus
• If you’re in the right place you will experience Jesus is more than meets the eyes.
4. Jesus is more than meet the eyes He really is the glory (the Splendor, the grandeur, the greatness, ) of the Father There he was transfigured before them. 3His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.
Isaiah prophesizes about the coming glory of God Isaiah 40: 5And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all
mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."
Hebrew 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being,
• The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God