Summary: Mother is the reason most of us are where we are, she is the reason we work, and mother are the reason we sacrifice.
Scripture: John 15:9-17
“Mother is the reason”
There are examples of what mothers have done from scripture Hagar endured she went back to Sarah, Jochedbed the mother of Moses just had to trust God, Naomi shared her faith with her Ruth, Mary just was favored because of obedience
1. Mother’s love is the reason most of us are where we are.
• Mothers Love was a love that was personable, Although Mom had four children she loved me
• It's a love that is specific to you. Mom chooses us, singled us out,
• God singles us out chooses specifically each one of us
• Vs 16 "You did not choose me but I chose you" Jesus says that we, too, were chosen by him, even as God chose Jesus.
• I am probably in church now because of mom. Every day Gerald go to church
• Mom never had any education went to 6th grade but desperately wanted her children to go.
2. Mother love is the reason most of us work. Mom often said, “you need to earn your keep” perhaps from Bible Man must now earn his living by the sweat of his brow”.
• We loved it when she asked us to help her, to work side by side with her –
• Whether it was helping to bake some cookies, or to put our finger in the string when she was tying a knot on some packages, didn't matter. I had to iron clothes
• We loved it. We weren't crazy about doing chores
• God loves us this way, too. We are tasked with helping God with the chores. Vs 16 says we were chosen to “bear fruit” love, joy, peace, long suffering, genteelness, goodness, and faith. Do good, do no harm, stay in love with God.
3. Mothers Love is a love that remains.” It Continues, It endures, It stays
• Note the text says, “Now remain in my love," the text says (v. 9). Jesus says we remain in his love when we obey his commands (v. 10).
• We can never be outside of God's love, even as we were never outside of mom's love.
• And, we are always in the love of God. See Romans 8:35-39. Nothing can separate us from God's love.
4. Mothers Love is the reason we Play Nice and Share
• "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you" (v. 12). At the end of the reading, Jesus says it again: "This is my command: love each other" (v. 17 NIV).
• Can't you hear mom asking us to play nice? "Be nice to your brother!" "Take your sister with you."
• Well, God loves us this way, too. God loves us enough to ask us to share the love with others. Mom always told us if we’re good to others then others will be good to you! Be nice
5. Mothers Love is the reason she sacrificed.
• Mom was always sacrificing her time, her work, her food
• "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life" (v. 13).
• God sacrificed: (John 3:16 for God so loved that He gave His only begotten Son
• On this Mother's Day, we give thanks for our mothers who gave us the gift of life
• We give thanks for all the women who gave us love that shaped us, comforted us and encouraged us, taught us and believed in us.
6. No doubt our mothers are the reason we are where we are, she is the reason most of us work, mothers love is the reason we are unconditionally loved, mothers love is the reason we play nice, and mothers love is a reason she sacrificed. Do you want this to be the greatest mother day ever give your heart to Jesus
• Your mother with us or not the reason your mother loved you is because that’s what a mother does.
• Moms might say to us today “Remain in God’s Love, Keep Gods commands, If you will your joy will be complete, Be a friend of God, I have chosen you to bear fruit, Love one another.