Summary: The sermon is to remind us as we go into the New Year we are required to "Praise" God through out the entire year.
Psalm 148 Praise
Praise can be uttered daily says the Chronicler.
30They were also to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD.
Praise is risen in ones heart at midnight Complines and lauds are uttered
Psalms read and prayers were offered every three hours throughout a 24 hour period in monasteries. Consider rising at different hours with one purpose just to praise our God.
62At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws
Praise is offered seven times a day says the Psalmist.
164Seven times a day I praise you
Praise is offered as a result of Gods goodness and mercy
Praises are given because of God’s greatness 3Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Several noteable things in this particular reading today.
1. 1st noticeable idea is the text begins and ends with
1Praise the LORD. 14. Praise the Lord.
• I think we could start out the New Year by praising and end the year by praising God.
2. 2nd thing I notice is that this sermon or Psalm could be called
"The Hallelujah Chorus" which literally means "praise Yahweh"
3. Third thing I have noticed is Creatures in Heaven are summoned
to offer praise.
• Praise the LORD from the heavens, all his angels, praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
4. Celestial Beings are summoned to Praise
• sun and moon, stars. highest heavens 5Let them praise the name of the LORD, for he commanded and they were created.
5. Sea Creatures are summoned to Praise
• 7Praise the LORD from the earth, you great sea creatures
6. Lightning Hail, mountains and hail are summoned to praise vs. 8
7. Animals cattle, small creatures and flying birds are
summoned to praise vs. 10
8. Kings and nations are summoned; all of humanity
is summoned to offer praise
• 11kings of the earth and all nations, 12young men and maidens, old men and children.
9 . The Next thing I noticed is why we are motivated to offer Praise
A. We are motivated to offer Praise because of all the Benefits
• Psalm 103: 2Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--
B. I am motivated to praise because I am totally forgiven and healed
• 3who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
• Jeremiah say though they search for my sins none shall be found 50:20
• 20In those days, at that time," declares the LORD, "search will be made for Israel’s guilt, but there will be none, and for the sins of Judah, but none will be found, for I will forgive the remnant I spare.
C. I am motivate to praise because God has risen me from the pit
• 4who redeems your life from the pit
D. I am motivated to offer praise because God contents my wants
• 5who satisfies your desires with good things
6. We are motivated to offer praise because of God’s mighty Acts
• Psalm 150:2Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness
7. We are motivated to offer praise because The Creator has raised a
Horn symbolic of protection , of power,
for His people who will drink the cup of redemption
• 14He has raised up for his people a horn,B (Symbolic of protection and power and symbolic of the lords anointed)the praise of all his saints, of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Sermon idea from Homileticsonline.com January 2012 issue