Summary: Today Satan is attempting to disarm the people of God by removing from the Body the instruments of revival. He wants to remove all the heat of the Spirit, the hammering of the Word, & the grinding of godly discipline that produce permanent tools God uses
1 Sam. 13:15-22
A. HUMOR: Chess Humor
1. During the Christmas holidays, a group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. 2. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. ''But why?'' they asked, as they moved off.
3. “Because,” he said “I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.”
4. One man said he had dinner with Garry Kasporov (world chess champion) and there was a checked tablecloth. “It took him 2 hours to pass me the salt!”
15 Saul counted the men who were with him. They numbered about six hundred. 16 Saul and his son Jonathan and the men with them were staying in Gibeah in Benjamin, while the Philistines camped at Mikmash. 17 Raiding parties went out from the Philistine camp in three detachments. One turned toward Ophrah in the vicinity of Shual, 18 another toward Beth Horon, and the third toward the borderland overlooking the Valley of Zeboyim facing the wilderness. 19 Not a blacksmith could be found in the whole land of Israel, because the Philistines had said, “Otherwise the Hebrews will make swords or spears!” 20 So all Israel went down to the Philistines to have their plow points, mattocks, axes and sickles sharpened. 21 The price was two-thirds of a shekel for sharpening plow points and mattocks, and a third of a shekel for sharpening forks and axes and for repointing goads. 22 So on the day of the battle not a soldier with Saul and Jonathan had a sword or spear in his hand; only Saul and his son Jonathan had them.
1. Tonight we’re going to look at the effects of sin, how crafty our enemy is, and that his plan is the same today is the same as it was 3100 years ago, to make the Body of Christ powerless to fight.
2. This message is on Spiritual warfare and is entitled, “No Blacksmiths?”
I. THE EFFECTS OF SIN
A. SIN DIMINISHES YOU
1. Notice the pitiful situation. Here’s a nation with
2 ½ million people who defeated many nations. But the King can only rally 600 soldiers to fight against a potent foe.
2. It wasn’t all Saul; other men should have been standing up & joining forces! Sin weakened and brought them low.
B. SIN STEALS YOUR PROSPERITY
1. The Philistines ravaged the country. They had 3 large raiding parties that went out and pillaged the region. Any crops, cattle, items of wealth, etc., were stolen, and the people killed or enslaved.
2. When we forsake God we open ourselves to satanic attack and open every aspect of our lives to attack.
3. The enemy grows stronger, strengthened by stealing the provisions God’s people need to survive, making them destitute.
C. SIN BRINGS FEAR
1. Because of these attacks, the Israelites were both terrified and impoverished, killing their fighting spirit.
2. Fear and foreboding became their constant distraction.
D. SIN MAKES YOU HELPLESS
The Israelites that took the field with Saul were unarmed, having only slings and clubs, not a sword or spear among them, except what Saul and Jonathan themselves have.