Summary: Paul encourages Timothy to be a man of God you need to Flee, Follow, Fight , and have Faith.
“O, Man Of God” 1 Timothy 6:6-19
• Paul calls Timothy his son; I believe he loved Timothy as a son.
• Maybe he sees in Timothy some of himself A young man of great Faith
• He sees in Timothy what he saw in another young disciple of Christ called Stephen .
• Paul saw a young man once whose face was like that of an angel, whose faith was so bold when the last stone that was thrown the he heard the young man cry out, “lay not this sin to their charge.” Paul consented to the stoning of the young man Stephen he perhaps saw the same faithfulness in Steven he now sees in Timothy so he warns him about some things.
• Paul share in the text Timothy in this journey you will need to flee, follow, fight, and have faith
1. To be a disciple Paul tells Timothy O Man of God Flee 11But you, man of God, flee
• O, Man of God Flee discontentment 10I rejoice greatly in the Lord 11, for I have learned to be
content whatever the circumstances.
• Contented people practice forgiveness, Contented people practice generosity.
• Contented people nurture relationships, Contented people express gratitude.
• Contented people care for their souls.
• Paul says, "O Man of God" flee Harmful desires (v. 9) . 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction
• Jesus said, “The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:17 And he thought, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?18 This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; 19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, 21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
2. To be a disciple Paul says “O Man of God” not only flee but Follow 11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue or follow
• Follow means to Run after, pursue, seek earnestly, never ever give up, and persevere
• Don’t be a fan but a follower. Kyle Idleman Be completely committed follower
• The man of God is to follow righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness
3. To be a disciple Paul says, “O man of God” Flee, Follow, but also Fight the Good Fight
a. Man of God Put on the armor of God that you can stand against the wiles of the devil
b. Man of God Put on The fight of confession if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us
c. Man of God Put on the fight during the afflictions remember there may be a midnight hour
crisis For these momentary affliction cannot compare to glory that awaits us
4. To be a Disciple Paul says, “O, Man Of God” Flee, Follow, Fight, but also have Faith. 11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue or follow, fight the good fight, and have faith