Summary: Jesus is tempted in the desert and the things that helped Jesus overcome the Temptations by the Devil can help us overcome temptations as well.
In the Temptation Jesus shares things that can
help us overcome temptation if we follow his example
1. One of those things that can help us overcome temptation is to be Filled with Holy Spirit
A. Note the Spirit is Driving Jesus
• 41Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert
B. The Spirit is Given to Convince us of sin.
• John 16:8When he comes, he will convict the world of guiltA in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:
C. The Spirit is Given to Comfort Gods People
• Acts 9:31Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord.
D. The Sprit is Given to every Christian
• Joel 2:28I will pour out my Spirit on all people,
• 1 Corinthians 12:7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
E. The Spirit is Given to Inspire the Believers Consider Steven
• Acts 7: 51"You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! 52Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him-- 53you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it." 54When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. 55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." 57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed,"Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.
2. The Second thing that can help us overcome temptation is Believing What is written
A. The Tempter came at Jesus’s weakest Point
• , 2where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry
B. The Tempter makes his temptation attractive but Jesus responds by Believing what is Written
• 3The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread." 4Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone.’A"
3. The Third thing that can help us overcome temptation is to Worship the Lord thy God Only
A. 5The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7So if you worship me, it will all be yours." 8Jesus answered, "It is written: `Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’
4. The 4th and Final thing can help us overcome temptation is to Put ones Trust in God for God is Faithful
A. The Devil wanted Jesus to trust in Who He was9The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of
the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down from here10For
it is written: " `He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; . 11they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a . . stone.’C" 12Jesus answered, "It says: `Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’D"
B. Jesus never gave himself credit In the Name of the Father NOTE after the Temptation is over
• . 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
• 18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, 19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."E
C. Trust God because with man things are impossible but with God all things are possible