Summary: The Israelites were known as the people of the book as a result of their interest in the book, becasue of their joy in the book, because they respected the book, and they found the book to be instructive.
People of the Book Nehemiah 8:1
1. They are known as the People of the Book because they were very interested in the Book
A. The audience hangs on every word that comes out of the mouth of the reader vs 3 all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.
B. These People were like the people Jesus spoke about in the beatitudes they hungered
• Matthew 5:6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.
C. The People of the Book I think we're like newborn Christians.
• 1 Peter 2:2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
2. They were known as people of the Book because they were over joyed because of the Book so they stayed in Church all day
A. They were like the Psalmist who said, I was glad when they said, unto me let us go into the house of the lord
B. They were overjoyed because they believed what Jesus said in Matthew 6.
• 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
C. They were overjoyed because they had heard this day, of Gods great deliervence’s.
• They heard how God said, and it was so. The creation story
• They heard how God led Moses to deliver with a mighty strong hand a people in slavery for 400 years
• They heard of the great victories of the Israelites as they travel in the land
3. They are known as the People of the Book because They greatly Respected the Book Consider their Posture
A. They Respected the Book By Stand Up vs 5 as he opened it, the people all stood up.
B. They Respected the Book by offering Praise to God . vs 6Ezra praised the LORD, the great God;
C. They respected the Book by Lifting their hands vs 6 all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen!
D. They Respected the Book by bowing down and put their faces in the dirt because they are sorrowful for their sins!"vs 6 Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground
E. They Respected the Word by saying Amen which means it is "firm", "established" or "may it be so”. So be it.
4. They are known as the People of the Book because it is the Book that gives Instruction
• vs 7The Levites--instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. 8They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clearA and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read.
A. The Book should be searched like the Bereans searched
• Acts 17 11Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
5. We are the People of the Book are we Interested in the Book? Are we overjoyed because of the Book? Do we greatly respect the Book?
A. James said the Book was The Engrafted Word which is able to save you
B. Jesus said, blessed are they that hear the Word of God and keep it.
C. The writer of Hebrews said, the word of God is living and active