Summary: The sermon touches on the journey of the maji that journeyed from so far to see the King of Israel, they had to have perseverance that give them strength to begin, power to be persistant, pressure to pursue, and push to finish the journey.
1. What is Perseverance?
A. Perseverance is having a Beginning
• Plato said, "The beginning is the most important part of the work"
• Magi had to say today we begin our journey I say today I begin a new Journey
• Vs 1. MagiA from the east came to Jerusalem
2. Perseverance is having Power to be Persistent (a Continuance)
• vs 2 , "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the eastB and have come to worship him."
• We must always change renew, rejuvenate ourselves, otherwise we harden-
Johann Wolf Gang Von Goethe
Magi had to come through finding themselves lost (the Devil was not strong enough) Magi needed strength
• Rev 12:7And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.
• Magi came through Discouragement Lets just give up, The journey is to much
• The Maji found renewable substances to keep them going such as Oh I want to see Him
• 2 Corinthians 4: 16Therefore we do not lose heart( we faint not). Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are small compared to seeing the King that outweighs all troubles.
• They said I want to see Him as they journey through the land singing as they go
Oh I want to see him, look upon his face, there to sing forever of his saving grace
Cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice.
3. Perseverance is being Pressured to Pursue. Oh, there is a strange Pressure in my heart. (My soul yearns for thee Oh Shepherd of Israel)
• the prophet has written: 6" `But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'D" the star they had seen in the eastE went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10When they
saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11On coming to the house, they saw the child with . his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.
A. Job said 19:27I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
B. The Psalmist said 84:2My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; 0
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
C. Isaiah said 26:9My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you.
4. Perseverance is Having a Push to Finish (they Accomplished their Goal)
• . 11On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened
their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.
A. Paul had Push to Finish
• 6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness
B. Stephen had Push to Finish
• 59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.
C. God had Push to finish John 3:16
D. Jesus had Push to Finish Father forgive they do not know what they have done It is finished