Summary: These are simple prayers that you can pray for your wife. There are 31, so you can choose one to pray for each day of the month.
Pray For Your Wife: Ephesians 5:25-26
Introduction: While doing a mid-day devotion in the book of Ephesians, I came across a passage that struck my heart. Paul says, “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word.” – Ephesians 5:25-26
I stumbled over the part that says, “…He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word (v.26). This is speaking of Christ whom sanctified (set apart) the church, having cleansed her (the church) by the washing of water with the word.
This is used as a picture of how husbands should also treat their wives. As I thought about how I could wash my wife “with water through the word,” I made a list of different prayers that I could pray for my wife, deriving from Psalm 119. I would challenge you to make these prayers a daily practice as well. We must realize that God has given us the gift of a wife and we must lift her up in prayer daily.
I love praying these things for my wife, as the word is so central to her walk with Jesus. I also find that her knowledge of and saturation with the scriptures is an encouragement to me. These are simple prayers that you can pray for your wife. There are 31, so you can choose one to pray for each day of the month.
Why not pray these things for your wife?
1. I give thanks to you God from my heart for the blessing of my wife and I pray that she will learn Your Word (v.7).
2. I pray that she will hide the Word in her heart and not sin against God (v.11).
3. I pray that she will declare the Word of God before others and be a faithful witness of her changed life (v.13).
4. I pray that she will meditate on the Word and learn the truths and characteristics of God (v.15).
5. I pray that she will delight in the word and not neglect it (v.16).
6. I pray that her eyes will be opened to see wonderful things in the word. I pray that God would give her the wisdom to interpret and apply the word (v.18).
7. I pray that her soul would be consumed with a longing for the word at all times (v.20).
8. I pray that the Word will first be her council in all things (v.24).
9. I pray that when she is discouraged, the Word will be her life, strength, and delight (v.25, 28, 143).
10. I pray that the Lord would give her understanding and discernment of the Word (v.27).
11. I pray that God will be gracious to her and keep her from deceitful ways through the Word living in her (v.29).
12. I pray that her heart will be turned to the Word and away from selfish gain and worthless things (v.36, 37).
13. I pray that as she grasps the goodness of god’s Word, that God will take away any fear or dread that may have a hold on her (v.39).
14. I pray that she will trust in the Word and use it to answer the enemies when he taunts her (v.42).
15. I pray that the Word of truth would not be snatched from her mouth (v.43).
16. I pray that she will seek out the Word and find it in freedom for daily living (v.45).
17. I pray that she will have the opportunity to speak the Word to people of influence, and that she will do it boldly and without shame (v.46).
18. I pray that her love and longing for the Word will grow, and that it will be sweeter and be more valuable to her with each passing day (v.47, 72, 103, 131).
19. I pray that the Word will come to her in times of trial and bring her comfort (v. 52, 61, 83).
20. I pray that she will be grieved when the Word is forsaken (v.53, 136).
21. I pray that the Word will be her song regardless of her outward surroundings (v.54).
22. I pray that she will have friends who will follow the Word (v.63).
23. I pray that the Lord will do good to her according to His Word (v. 65).
24. I pray that she will gain knowledge and good judgment from the Word (v.66).
25. I pray that she will meditate long and often on the Word, gleaning much insight from it (v.97, 99).
26. I pray that she will stay far from evil paths so she can obey the Word (v.101).
27. I pray that the Word would be a lamp unto her feet and a light to her path, bringing her delight (v.105).