Summary: Surely prayer has to be more then the trite prayers that we pray before a meal doesnt it?
Prayer – Going Beyond “Rub a dub dub, thanks for the Grub”
A. God is great God is good let us thank him for our food Amen
B. Lord bless this bunch as they munch there lunch
C. Rub a dub dub, thanks for the Grub
D. (Find some more “cute” prayers)
E. Is that all prayer is?
F. Is it just a couple of quick, lets get this over with and where good to go?
G. No need for hands, how many of you have gotten into the rut of quickly praying and it becomes just something you say and you give no thought to what you are saying?
H. Prayer has to be more then that right?
I. As we continue to look back to move forward we get to this passage in Acts 4
J. WE going to look how the first church handled prayer
K. We are then going relate it to our lives
L. The first thing we learn about pray is:
I. (23-24a) How To Respond
1. Peter and John after there “normal” outing to go and prayer return to were their people were
a) Understand when they start off on this journey they thought that they would go to the Temple pray for a while come home and eat supper
b) That is not what happened, I do not think they ever made it to the prayer service, they healed the guy, and then got the opportunity to tell others about Jesus
c) Then got thrown into Jail
d) Got up the next morning, had to have a little conference with the Sanhedrin
e) Got threaten that if they kept talking about Jesus, bad things would happen
f) And finally were let go, and they return to their people
2. You could imagine the reaction of the people when they heard the whole story
3. Quite and eventful experience
4. Well something had to be done
5. So they appointed a committee to investigate the legalities of the threat imposed on Peter and John
6. Then another committee began a petition to the Sanhedrin that Peter and John should be allowed to do this
7. While another group was angry about the trouble they caused, they did not want to ruin the reputation of the Christians
8. No, sadly that is probably how we would have responded
9. Take a look at how the first church responded
10. “They raised their voices together in prayer”
11. There was not the group in dissention
12. There was not a regularly schedule Board Meeting
13. The first thought, and their only thought, was to pray
14. After event like this, there is only one way to respond, prayer
15. Homework assignment number one:
a) What events in your life should you not respond in prayer?
16. Think through that one
17. Do remember what happened on September 11th 2001? That evening there were tons of people who went to their churches to prayer, their were people who pulled out their Bible dusted it off and started to read it, there were people all over the country meeting at Starbucks and praying
18. These meeting were not a result of a decisions that was made by the Elders
19. These meeting were not a result of a Pastor preaching about the importance of a healthy devotional life
20. These meeting were not a promotional event were if you prayed you got a free cup of coffee