Summary: James tells us to pray, prayer does things to us.
“ Prayer Prayer Prayer ” James 5:13-20 The Psalmist tells us when we should pray:
• Daily In the morning Psalm 5:3In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests
before you and wait in expectation
• Morning and evening: Psalm 922 I proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night
• Three times a day psalms 5517Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.
• In the night: Psalm 11955In the night I remember your name, O LORD, and I will keep your law.
• All Night Luke 6:12One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.
• Without Ceasing 1Th 5:16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's
will for you in Christ Jesus.
1. Prayer is important not that it changes diseases but that it changes you.
• Real prayer is not only soul satisfying; it is life changing. When you and I spend time with Jesus, he changes us. Richard Foster wrote, “To pray is to change. Prayer is the central avenue God uses to transform us. If we are unwilling to change, we will abandon prayer as a noticeable characteristic of our lives. The closer we come to the heartbeat of God the more we see our need and the more we desire to be conformed to Christ.”
• Prayer changed the Disciples They were once timid and afraid, hiding and secretive, embarrassed and ashamed. In fact, their adversaries commented, “. . . they were unschooled, ordinary men” (Acts 4:13 NIV). Then the adversaries said , “astonished and took note that these men had been with Jesus”
• The Bible say the Disciples prayed for boldness and prayer changed them . Acts 4: says, “29Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. 30Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus." 31After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.”
• Prayer changed David from a adulteress and murderess man to a man after God own heart. He Prayed 1Have mercy on me, O God, 9Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 12Restore to me the joy of your salvation David when he prayed found "A refuge in times of trouble. " a refuge for the oppressed"
2. Prayer is " I look at him and he looks at me"
• Elizabeth O'Connor tells the story of a man who went each day to sit in a darkened church.
One day as he came out, a perplexed friend inquired what he did during the long time he spent inside the church. "I just look at him," he answered, "and he looks at me."
• Moses at the burning Bush who did the talking? The bible says Moses his face for he was afraid to look at him.
• Isaiah in the temple He said “Woe is me for I am ruined for I am a man of unclean lips