Summary: This sermon explains four important principles to having a successful marriage
• It is very easy to get married. Staying married is the great challenge, and enjoying the marriage is yet another issue.
• Do not rush into marriage. Take your time, find the right person and then take that step.
• I want to share 4 major principles of marriage with you. Marriages that are having problems have one or more of these ingredients missing. Let me use the acronym DeLoWiFe – Devoted Love Wisdom and the Fear of God - or DLWF. The principles are as follows:
1. Both Parties Committed and Devoted to Christ
• A 3-fold chord is not easily broken (Eccl 4:12). Both parties must be individually devoted to God. The Bible does not say a 2-fold chord. If one party is devoted to God and the other party is not, you cannot have a 3-fold chord.
• The person who is not devoted to God provides a weak link in the chord. He or she weakens the marriage. This is a common phenomenon in many marriages. Especially when you are not convinced about the devotion of the other party to Christ.
• The party that is devoted to Christ will have to WORK SO HARD to keep things going. But that is not how it is supposed to be. Both parties must be totally committed to Christ.
2. Love for God
• Your love for God is the key to a good marriage. It is the very foundation to a successful marriage. It shapes your life, informs your behaviour and guides your steps. Without it, you will have it tough in marriage, in human terms.
• Our love for God is not some feelings that we have for Him. Love for God can be proven.
• If you are now planning to get married, be sure the person you want to marry loves God sincerely and is committed to Christ. Otherwise, you will be challenged.
• The test of our love for God. The Bible says “If you love Me, keep My commandments" - John 14:15. John 14:21adds that "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me". In 1 John 5:2-3, we read "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome". Again, 1 John 2:3-5 says "But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him".
• In marriage, love for God becomes even more important. We live with each other in obedience to God and that is what makes a marriage work. You love each other, the husband loves the wife. You respect each other, and the wife respects the husband in obedience to God
• It is good to have knowledge but knowledge is never enough. You need wisdom. You need to be able to apply what you know into making good decisions on a daily basis to bring you life, health and success. That is wisdom. It makes you do things in a certain way.
• Prov. 4:7 says "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding".
• Prov. 14:1 adds that "The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands". Not a beautiful woman but a wise woman.