Summary: When fishing in order to catch the big one you have Go, Go to the place, Go to deep waters, and Go with a guide
“Don’t let the Big one get away” Luke 5:1-11
• First you have to “Go”, Second you have to “Go to the place” Third you have to “Go to Deeper Waters”
• Fourth you always have to “Go with Jesus”
1. Why go fishing? Just to Go is stress relief “ some guys simply say “Freedom”
• Grabs tackle box, hook up boat, drive to the spot, and cast that line freedom
• I have heard fishing adds excitement,
• social bonding with family and friends,
• self-fulfillment ask a youngster who reels in the big one,
• Some have said fishing adds longevity of life your healthier because your active or fulfilled life
2. In order to Catch the Big One you have to “GO”
• If you’re going to catch the big one you have to Get Up and Get Going don’t you?
• You have to Go can’t lay in bed, Simon had to go fishing, the other fisherman had to go
3. To catch that monster you have to “Go to the Place”
• In today’s reading the place they went to fish was lake Gennesaret
• People in the text had to “go to the place” The Place was where Jesus was “the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God.”
4. To catch the Big One you have to “Go to Deeper waters”
• There were two boats, left by the fishermen,. 3 Jesus got into one of the boats, Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat. When Jesus finished he told Simeon , “Push Out Into Deep Water”
• I think you don’t only go deep but stay deep and live deep
5. To catch that monster you need a guide “Go with Jesus”
• Listen to the Guide generally they know could be a guide on a big trip could be a buddy
• Today the Guide is Jesus who says, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
• The Guide Jesus says go back out there “Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything” but because you said to I will”.
• The Guide Jesus knows Best my friends When they listened they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners to come and help, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
6. Finally, Don’t Let the Big One Get away (My story as a 10 year old reeled fish to end of pole)
• The Big one to day is not the fish but Life Don’t let eternal life get away
• it’s time to talk about (REAL) Life not (REEL) life 9
• They were astonished at the catch of fish, 10 James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.
• They never “let the big one get away” when Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!”
• Note what happened Jesus said from now one “You will fish for people” They pulled their boats to shore left everything and followed Him.
• Don’t let the big one get away Go, Go to the places he tells you, Go to deeper waters, Just Go with Jesus