Summary: Some of the incidents Mary recalls about Jesus that more and likely changed her forever.
Luke 2:41-52. “What Mary treasured”
Children what is your favorite memory of Christmas? Mary remembers things about Jesus
• Jesus parents went every year to the festival of Passover, Jesus must have remained at The Temple
• Joseph and Mary return in hunt for Jesus they find Jesus in the temple he was setting among the teachers, listening to them, and asking questions all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
1. In today’s reading I find something unique Mary Treasured these things in her heart
• Mary pondered or treasured the time when the angle appeared and shared she would conceive and have a baby his name is Emmanuel “God with us “Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.31 "
• Mary recalled what the baby would be called The child you will deliver will be called great, Son of the Highest; 33 " He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
• The child you will deliver is the Holy One called the Son of God.
• Mary thought about the day the magi came with gifts of Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh some have said these type gifts were not just given to Kings but to God.
• Mary was reminded of the words said at the temple by Simeon he had been waiting for the Consolation of Israel he was told he would not see death before he had seen the constellation. Simeon said, “my eyes have seen Your salvation, the light to gentiles, glory of Israel, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also
2. Jesus’s life as Mary remembered, was consumed with faithfulness to the house of God
• Jesus asked: “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” Maybe Jesus is saying I am “dealing with the things of my Father.”
• Mary treasured his wisdom he grew in wisdom and stature
• Mary treasured his spiritual growth
3. Always on Mary’s mind was Jesus’s power and authority
• He has power and authority over sin and disease Son of man possesses authority on earth to forgive sins (he said to the sick of palsy), I say to you, Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house” (Mk. 2:10).
• He has power and authority over Angels The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that cause stumbling, and them that do iniquity” (Mt. 13:41).
• He has power and authority over demons or evil spirits He said to Demon come out and they did
• He has power and authority over death he raised people from the dead—the daughter of Jairus “he took the girl by the hand and she got up”Mt. 9:18-26; Mk. 5:21-43), a widow’s son “ I say unto you young man arise”Lk. 7:11-15), and Lazarus of Bethany (He said ,Lazarus come forth”Jn. 11:43-44).
• He has power to change me, has he changed you?
4. Finally, Mary treasured and pondered the angelic visit, the visit of Simeon and his words, Mary treasured his faithfulness to the house of God, his wisdom, spiritual growth, his power and authority.
• I believe the things Mary treasured and pondered changed her
• Like Mar His teaching and authority should have already changed us dramatically and should be changing us right now..
• Mary probably thought Before Jesus I knew about God now I know God
• Do we know about God or do we know God?
• The things Mary treasured pondered caused her to mature in faith, Over time, we should be able to see Christ’s life and teachings changing us and causing us to grow.