Summary: God calls us to raise up a generation of victorious Christian youth who will make wise choices, have strong convictions, know their boundaries, have strong faith in God and a passion for the lost. Here's the blueprint.
RAISING KIDS WHO MIND WITHOUT LOSING YOURS
A. HUMOR: TEACHERS KNOW - KIDS ARE QUICK
1. TEACHER: “Donald, what is the chemical formula for water?” DONALD: “H I J K L M N O.” TEACHER: “What are you talking about?” DONALD: “Yesterday you said it's H to O.”
2. TEACHER: “Glen, why do you always get so dirty?”
GLEN: “Well, I'm a lot closer to the ground than you are.”
3. TEACHER: “George Washington not only chopped down his father's cherry tree, but also admitted it.
Now, Louie, do you know why his father didn't punish him?” LOUIS: “Because George still had the axe in his hand.....”
4. TEACHER: “Clyde, your composition on 'My Dog' is exactly the same as your brother's. Did you copy his?”
CLYDE : “No, sir. It's the same dog.”
B. PARENTING ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT THINGS IN LIFE
1. More than 30% of parents feel they’re failures.
2. Responses tell parents feelings:
a. "I don’t know how to cope with children's problems."
b. "I've lost confidence in my ability to parent."
c. "I'm not the example I should be."
d. "I’m seeing my own bad habits & character traits in my children."
e. "I have an inability to relate to my children."
f. "I’m dealing with guilt concerning my kids."
g. "I'm overwhelmed by the responsibility of it all."
3. This all indicates that there is a great need for a plan. God never said parenting would be easy; that's why it begins with something called "Labor!"
C. BLUEPRINT FOR RAISING KIDS
OUR GOAL AS A PARENT IS TO LAUNCH A YOUNG PERSON INTO THE WORLD WHO:
1. Knows how to WORK and PROVIDE for themselves.
2. Is able to make WISE CHOICES in their decisions and their relationships with others.
3. Has STRONG CONVICTIONS of right and wrong and knows the BOUNDARIES of acceptable behavior -- not only before men, but before God!
4. But most of all has a STRONG FAITH in God, dedication to CHURCH and a PASSION to touch the world for Jesus Christ.
5. TITLE: “RAISING KIDS WHO MIND WITHOUT LOSING YOURS.” MANY THINGS GO INTO THE BLUEPRINT, BUT MOST ARE SUMMED UP IN THESE FIVE REQUIREMENTS:
I. PARENTS MUST BE THE MODELS
“Fathers, …bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” Eph. 6:4.
A. DEFINITION OF “MODEL”
1. The New Testament uses several Greek words that are translated by the word, “example.”
a. The word deigma and its variants suggests a “model,” either for good or bad, Heb. 4:11.
b. The Greek tupos denotes a “print or sketch” (cf. Jn. 20:25; 1 Tim. 1:16); or it can suggest a “pattern” (Heb. 8:5). Elders are to be “examples” to the flock of God (1 Pe. 5:3).
c. 1 Pet. 2:21 uses the word hupogrammos (literally “to write under,” used of a child’s writing exercise, copying the alphabet.
2. Paul made an amazing statement in 1 Cor. 11:1, “Follow my example, just as I follow Christ’s” Living Bible. We parents should be able to tell our kids, “Pattern your life after mine, and if you do, you will be a Christian.”
3. You are probably the only Jesus/Bible those around you will ever see! “We are epistles, known and read of all men” 2 Cor. 3:2. We can’t lay it off on someone else to be a Christian; the responsibility falls on us.