Summary: The early church released doves to represent the spirit of God being released into the world. We have that spirit in each of us let us release the Dove.
“Release The Dove” Acts 2:1-21
The church during “Dark Ages" are known for their stained-glass windows. During the dark ages the forebears had a Bible, but it wasn't a book. It was the cathedral itself. The Bible they read was paintings, murals, sculptures, the icons, the stained-glass windows, the Eucharist, the painted domes, all told the stories of the faith.
The churches or Cathedrals of this era were the centers of the community, it was the court house, it was a place where the weary traveler could find a meal, a place to stay.
The cathedral was, in fact, the soul of its village -- it was charged with caring for all the individual souls it served in the community. These were harsh times -- simple survival was a full-time occupation for most people. Religious faith was not a mere convenience or habit -- it was the main support system in the lives of struggling, frightened, powerless men and women. The cathedral offered a source of comfort, beauty and security for all who entered her doors.
Professor Eck has discovered that Pentecost was one of the most unique and creatively celebrated days on the church's calendar. In 10th-century Rome In order to make the coming of the Holy Spirit a dramatic, dynamic event for their congregations, leaders of Pentecost services involved architecture, not just anthems.
Doves were placed in holes or boxes and at the right moment the doves were released from the ceiling and also red rose petals were also released over bushel of these would fly down. The choir would break into whooshing, and drumming sounds like a holy wind storm. Release the Dove would be the cry of the Priest. The Dove represents the Holy Spirit
1. Let us Release the Dove of Sound( The sounds of the church)
• Hear the sounds of the early church . 2Suddenly a sound
• One sound of the early church was Prayer When the day of Pentecost came; they were all together in one place. (I believe they were praying)
• Another sound of the early church was noise vs 2 the noise was like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.
• I remember an old gospel song “Lets crank up the music and lets have church” Or maybe we could crank it like a chain saw bow to knees and crank it like chain saw (Family Force 5)
• Sounds we are missing in our church is the weeping of a soul coming to Jesus, a Great shout from congregants, sounds of babies screaming isn’t it wonderful, sounds of Hope rarely , some sounds we do hear about the church do are negatives . Our church is wonderful we have a great church, great choir, great congregants do anything for you , our pastor is great .
2. Let us Release the Dove of Unity. Pentecost is hearing despite different languages, there were different cultures, different beliefs, different doctrines, different opinions, different concepts, different thinking, “Note they all heard”7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?