Summary: The text says,
The Say So Community Psalm 107:1-9
1. The Say So Community in today’s text are called :
A. The Redeemed (The delivered ones )2Let the redeemed of the LORD say this--
those he redeemed from the hand of the foe,
B. The Troubled Ones (The Desperation Resulting from the Assyrian Army & Babylonians) 3those he gathered from the lands, from east and west, from north and south.A
C. The Scattered Ones (These wondered in trackless terrors of the Desert)
4Some wandered in desert wastelands, finding no way to a city where
they could settle.
D. The Hungry and Thirsty Ones (Without food and water )
2. Let us look at the History of The Say So Community
A. Their History was a History of Rebellion
Psalm 106:6We have sinned, even as our fathers did; we have done wrong and acted wickedly.
7When our fathers were in Egypt, they gave no thought to your miracles; they did not remember your many kindnesses,
and they rebelled by the sea, the Red Sea.B
B. Their History was a History of Crying Out to God Vs 6, vs 13, vs 19, 28
Vs 6Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
C. Their History was a History of Divine Deliverance Psalm 105:12When they were but few in number, few indeed, and strangers in it, 13they wandered from nation to nation, from one kingdom to another. 14He allowed no one to oppress them; for their sake he rebuked kings: 15
3. The Say So Communities cried out to God and God decisively Responds . 1. The Lord delivered them from all their troubles . 2. The Lord delivered them from all their distress . 3. The Lord gives to those who were thirsty by sending water . 4. The Lord gave food to those who hungered . . 5. The Lord returned them to their homeland . 6. The Say So Community is a COVENANT Community (God promised to take care of them and he did)
4. Today’s Say So Community is different than the texts Say So Community . 1. We were not carried off captive as were they. . 2. We were not abused by foreign rulers as were they. . 3. We did not have to worship secretly. . 4. We did not wander in the desert. . 5. We were not on the brink of starvation
5. The Say So Community Says So Today by emailing, texting, blogging, tweeting, protesting, and by phoning
• We're a remarkably vocal culture except perhaps in the church. Often, the church is silent. This is true historically, with notable exceptions. That these exceptions are notable (think of the confessing church in Germany during WW2, or the clergy who marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Selma in the sixties)
6. The Text Say "Let The Redeemed of God SAY SO "
How can we become the Say So Community?
• We become the Say So Community by feeding the Hungry helping those that are sick care for the die-ing.
• We are the Say So Community by being Faithful to the call of peace and Justice for all
• We are the Say So Community by being Faithful to the Church for which Christ Died for
• We are the Say So Community by being Faithful to the call of those that sat in darkness and deepest glooms the vivid imagery of the Distresses nowhere to go