Summary: Today the lesson shares with us real people talk about real encounters, there are real town meetings, testimonials, there are some real skeptics, and some people just really mess with Jesus.
Searching and Messin with Sasquatch Luke 4:21-30
Searching for Big Foot, Big Foot Sightings are TV programs that are attempting to find the Big Foot There is even a TV commercial that shares an image of a Sasquatch and folks messing with him and bad things happen to those who mess with Sasquatch. Jack Links Beef Jerky presents Messing with Sasquatch is the name of those commercials.
I noticed in today’s Gospel reading believe it or not there are some relational or similarities of incidents that happened with Jesus in this Gospel. One of those things that happened in the gospel lesson is real people had a real encounter with God. In the TV show real people share about real encounters with Sasquatch.
The TV shows shares there are always town meetings, with real sightings, real encounters, and real skeptics. I also noticed in the gospel lesson we have some testimonials from towns people who said, “all spoke well of him”.
As is in the TV program there were skeptics, well in our gospel lesson there are sceptics also some tried to discredit Jesus by saying, “Isn’t this Joseph ‘s son “then some said, “Do here what you did in Capernaum”.
Some as they do in the commercials messin with Sasquatch here in Nazareth they messin with Jesus to the point they tried to run off a cliff. So let’s look at some of the similarities in the texts.
1. The TV show “Searching for Big Foot” Real People talk about Real Encounters.
• In today’s reading Real People had a Real Encounter with God 21and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
• This is who I am and what I will do Jesus proclaims 18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, I will preach good news to the poor. I will proclaim freedom for the prisoners, I will recover sight for the blind, I will release the oppressed, 19 I will proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."(The Year of Jubilee) Real People had a Real Encounter with God.
2. In the TV show Searching for Big Foot there is always a town meeting for testimonials, real sightings, encounters, skeptics.
• IN this meeting at Nazareth, in the reading there were some positive testimonials the Bible says, 22All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips.
• Non-Believers even said, “Never have a man spoke like this man.”
• After this Jesus, goes to Galilee the Galileans said, .Luke 4 “32They were amazed at his teaching, because his message had authority. “
3. Now it seems the towns People are messin with Jesus like the commercial messin with Sasquatch
• Apparently there were some skeptics who tried to discredit Jesus "Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked. They wondered if He could possibly be the Christ or not. They were messin with Jesus!
• Jesus response ignites the hearers, Jesus is asked to do miracles here like He did in Capernaum “Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.' "
• 24"I tell you the truth," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown. They think Jesus favors Capernaum over Nazareth
• Jesus shares in verse 25 How God showed compassion for a foreigner rather than an Israelite. 25I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah's time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. 26Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them,(Israelites) but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon.
• Then Jesus shares yet another compassion for a Foreigner rather than a Israelite 27And there were many in Israel with leprosyF in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed--only Naaman the Syrian."
4. Instead of searching for Jesus they are messin with Jesus.
• 28All the people were furious. 29They , drove him out of the town, and took him to the top of the hill to throw him down the cliff. 30But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way. ( God Protected Jesus )
5. In conclusion, todays sighting we heard
• Real People had Real Encounters "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
• In town meetings there were Testimonials about real sightings, encounters 22All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips.
• were those who were instead of searching for Jesus they were Messin with Jesus or rejecting Jesus
• Don’t mess around with Jesus life is short Search for Jesus with all your heart
• Satan messed with God “O morning star, you have fallen You have been cast down13You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.C 14I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." 15But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.