Summary: To have a place of refuge and to know where it is, and how to get there is not enough. You must stay in the shelter God has provided through His Son.
The Law of Moses has a spiritual meaning, as is seen from the clear references of Scripture.
(Zech.9:12) "Turn you to the STRONGHOLD, ye prisoners of HOPE; even today do I declare that I will render double to thee."
(Heb.6:18). "That by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for REFUGE to lay hold upon the HOPE set before us:"
(A) Note: Our Natural State Is One Of Great Danger!
(1) We each and everyone of us are guilty as criminals, having rebelled against God.
(a) As criminals we are subject to the penalty of death. (Romans 6:23). "The wages of sin is death: But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
(2) We must notice that the situation of the manslayer in our text resembles our own, when we provoke the wrath of God.
(B) Nothing Can Deliver Us But Instant Flight
(1) We might sit at ease, and bless ourselves, go through all the motions, do our best to feel secure, but if death overtakes us while we tarry in our sins, we will perish in them.
(a) As death finds you so shall eternity keep you!
(b) It will do no good to trust in anything as our covenant of hope as long as we remain indifferent to our spiritual needs.
(2) There must be a demonstrated change.
(John 2:10). "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all."
(a) You can: go to church "still die in your sins"
.......: Read your Bible "still die in your sins"
.......: Pray daily "still die in your sins"
You must FLEE to the Refuge!
(C) There Is A Place Of Safety Where We Can Go!
(1) Christ is our refuge
(a) Our refuge is divinely appointed: (John 3:16).
God so pitied, so deeply loved us that He planned and provided a way of deliverence for us by His only begotten Son.
(2) Our Refuge Is Free To All Who Will Come
(a) None are shut out
(b) There is no stage of guilt or degree of sin that can hinder you from fleeing to this refuge.
(c) Sinners of every rank and description have a place of refuge. Read (1Cor. 6:9-11).
(3) There Is A Refuge Near
(a) These cities were strategically placed so that there would be one close by.
(b) A Refuge Easily Accesible
(C) Every Obstacle Has Been Removed
(d) Our Refuge Contains An Ample Supply For Our Needs!
(D) Having Once Entered We Must Abide There
(1) Not enough that the manslayer fled there, but he must remain till the death of the high priest.
(2) Read (2Peter 2:20-21).