Summary: Dealing with the issue of why we Speaking In Tongues and the purpose of Speaking In Tongues. The Holy Ghost and Speaking in tongues go together.
Speaking In Tongues
Detroit Church of God
Pastor Charles Gilbert
July 21, 2002
I. Why do we “speak in tongues?”
A. It is scriptural
1. Paul, in I Cor. 14:5, states, “I would that ye all spake with tongues...”
2. Paul further declares in I Cor. 14:18, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:”
B. It is the evidence of being filled with the Holy Ghost
1. Acts 2:1-4
1. And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
44. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
3. Acts 19:6
“And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”
C. It enhances your prayer life
1. Romans 8:26
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”
2. Jude 20
“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,”
II. What is the purpose of “speaking in tongues?”
A. It is a sign to the unbeliever
“Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.”
B. Enables you to pray the perfect will of the Father
1. Romans 8:27
“And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”
2. The Holy Ghost will pray through you
3. The Holy Ghost prays for your life, according to the will of God
C. Giving out of messages
“To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:”
28. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30. Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
III. Overview of “speaking in tongues”
A. You can’t separate “speaking in tongues” from the Holy Ghost
1. Before you ever speak in tongues you must be filled with the Holy Ghost
2. Before you ever give out a message you must be filled with the Holy Ghost
3. Before you ever pray in the Spirit you must be filled with the Holy Ghost
B. There is not different tongues, but there is different functions of one tongue
1. To believe there are different tongues is to say…
a. The Holy Ghost has a mouth full of tongues
b. There are different spirits in you for different purposes
c. Neither of these statements are correct
C. It is the Holy Ghost that gives us the utterance to “speak in tongues”
1. It is not my prayer language or prayer tongue
a. Our experiences must be biblically based
b. Prayer language or prayer tongue is not found in the Bible
2. It is not I that gives out a message in tongues
3. It is not a language that I have learned
4. Acts 2:4
“And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”