Summary: We should gladly own Yahweh as our God, and we should take great pride in him!
Taking Pride in God
1. Sometimes it DOES take a Rocket Scientist Scientists at NASA have developed a gun built specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity.
The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields. British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high speed trains.
Arrangements were made. But when the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurtled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, crashed through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin.
Horrified Britons sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and begged the U.S. scientists for suggestions.
NASA's response was just one sentence, "Thaw the chicken." [http://haruth.com]
2. Sometimes the answer is simple.
3. The same is true in Christian life. A lot of our motivation for growing in the Lord is a reverence for God resulting from a good pride in Him.
Main Idea: We should gladly own Yahweh as our God, and we should take great pride in him!
I. God LAVISHES His Spirit Upon Us (1-5)
A. God CHOOSES (1-2a)
B. God TRANSFORMS (2b)
1. Step one, Jacob, the deceiver
2. Step two, Israel, prevailing with God
3. Step three, Jeshurun, upright and righteous
• Jeshurun means upright one, law-keeping, on the level, straight of character
• Deuteronomy 33:26, There is none like God, O Jeshurun, who rides through the heavens to your help, through the skies in his majesty.
C. God POURS his refreshing Spirit (3-4)
John 7:37-39, On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Acts 3;19-21, “Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago.”
1. The Spirit brings refreshment. When you leave a room, if I were to poll others there and asked, “were you refreshed by this person,” what would they say?
2. Refreshing people gain a hearing; grouches, whiners, and curmudgeons.. nope
3. Some of you have refreshed me time and time again…thank you…
4. Let the Holy Spirit make you intentionally refreshing, life-giving, encouraging
D. Because of all this, we take PRIDE in him (5)