Summary: The sermon helps us to deal with temptation with the truth of Gods word that's how Jesus overcame the temptations of Satan in the wilderness.
Temptation Luke 4:1-13
1. Jesus is tempted by Satan 1Jesus was led by the Spirit in the desert, 2where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days
• So, what is temptation? Some people see Temptation as evil it is not
• Some people see temptation as something that is stronger than our faith
• Some people see Temptation as something that pulls us towards selling out to sin.
• Scripture teaches us that Temptation is part of life before Adam and Eve sinned there was temptation
• Today Jesus is Tempted “Jesus was tempted as we are yet he Knew no sin” according to Paul in Corinthians. I think being Tempted is Being human!
2. Something we need to Know Satan is known as the Tempter as well as many names
• Revelation calls him Accuser of our brothers (Rev 12:10, Ancient serpent ,Angel of the Abyss (Rev 9:11).
• Matthew calls him Beelzebub , the Enemy , The Evil One and Prince of this world
• Isaiah calls him the Dragon (Isa 27:1; Rev 20:2).
• John Calls him the Father of lies (Jn 8:44). Murderer (Jn 8:44). Powers of this dark world (Eph
• Paul calls Him The Tempter who he was afraid was trying to tempt Timothy (Mt 4:3; 1Th 3:5).
3. Temptation is a tool of Satan Laziness is a tool , neglecting God, non-prayer life, no reading of bible
4. Satan has a goal to pull you and I away from God That’s what Satan tried to do to Jesus. Hear the text , “He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. 3The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread." "
• “Feed your stomach Jesus”, says Satan “that is more important than God’s Word right now” 4Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone.'A
• He wants to pull you out of the mission Field
5. How can we defeat Temptations?
• Some would argue that the best defense is to barricade your life from as many evil influences as possible. Cancel the cable. Pull the plug on the PC. Homeschool the kids and start making your own clothes. Pull away from society, and you’ll stay far from temptation.
• Don’t be a settler fight temptation a Settler like the commercial says we settle for things "Father, why can't we have DIRECTV like the McGregors do?" The father replies "We're settlers, son. We settle for things. Like having cable instead of DIRECTV." One of the neighbors comes home and says hello. "Hey Jebediah. How's it going?" He answers "Working the land. Hoping for a fertile Spring." The son continues his questioning. "So, we have to live with lower customer satisfaction?" The father answers "I'm afraid so. Now, go churn us some butter, boy. And then make your own clothes." Don't be a settler. Get rid of cable and upgrade to DIRECTV. Don’t settle, Up grade to all the Truths of God’s Word
Consider some of the following UPGRADES we can have:
• WE can Fight temptation with Truth Jesus fought temptation with truth. He fought temptation with the truth of God’s word.
• Satan tempted Jesus with Food, but Jesus said, the Truth is: `Man does not live on bread alone.
• Satan tempted Jesus with worship, " if you worship me, it will all be yours." Worship Satan no cross 8Jesus answered, Gods word is truth "It is written: `Worship the Lord your God and serve him only. “ Jesus said, “I didn’t come to be served but to serve.”
• When we are tempted to stray Jesus reminds us. “He is the Way the Truth and the Life”
• When we have lost our way he is the Good Shepherd who searches for that one little lost lamb.
• When we are in the seas of turmoil the truth is He the wind whisper who says peace be still.
• When we are tempted the truth is He is the bread of life, When we are tempted to worship other things worship the truth the true living God, When we fall The truth is he is Faithful to pick us up.
• When we are in darkness The Truth is God’s “word is a lamp to [our] feet and a light to [our] path”