Summary: The sermon is based on the idea of how we can live a life of being thankful by setting our minds on being thankful, by not being selfish, and by putting off and putting on.
Thanks-Living Colossians 3:1-15
How does one live a life of Thanks type Living?
1. Thanks-Living is Setting One’s Mind
Chapter 3 :1says, "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above
A. Do Not set Ones Mind on Fleshy Stuff
• Romans 8:5Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on the things of the flesh; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires
B. Thanks-Living is anchored in our Ability to set our Minds on Transformation or Renewal
• Romans 12:2Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
C. Thanks-Living life is Redirecting One’s Mind
• Colossians 3:2 says 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Redirect ones minds on whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8
2. Thanks-Living will Happen When We Die vs 1Since, then, you have been risen with Christ vs 3 for ye are dead
A. Romans says 6:7 -- 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. because those who have died are free
B. Thanks-Living Happens when we die because After Death then we are raised to Newness of Life
• Romans 6:4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live or walk in newness of life or a new life.
C. Yes, Thanks-Living Happens because there is Newness of Life it is no longer I
• Galatians 2:20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The lifeI live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
3. Thanks-Living is Happening because we are desiring to put Certain things in our life to Death such as
• Colossians 3:5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.B
4. Thanks-Living is experienced by Putting Off and Putting On
• Colossians 3:9 you have put off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
• Colossians 3:12 Paul writes 12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
• Put On this type of Clothing and you will be doing Thanks-Living clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
• Put on Forgiveness it is Thanks-Living 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
• Put on Love it to is Thanks-Living 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
• Put on Thanks-Living by just being Thankful the writer closes with : 15And be thankful.