Summary: The Holy Spirit gives us greater peace of mind, purity of thoughts and an upright conscience when we fear the Lord. Paul wrote, "Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." (2 C
Illustration:We fear men so much because we fear God so little.
1. The Holy Spirit helps us maintain a reverential trust in God with a hatred for evil by teaching us more about God’s holy attributes. John wrote, "Who will not fear You, O Lord and glorify your name? For You alone art holy." (Rev. 15:4)
Ask the Lord to help you to continually grow in your knowledge, intimacy and confidence in the knowledge of the Holy One’s attributes.
2. The Holy Spirit reminds us that we are commanded to fear the Lord and keep all of His commandments. Moses wrote, "You will walk after the Lord your God and fear Him and keep His commandments and obey His voice and serve Him and cling to Him." (Deut 13:4) Ask the Lord to help you to fear God out of obedience, service and your need for His support.
3. The Holy Spirit motivates us to fear the Lord with all kinds of rich incentives. Solomon wrote, "By humility and the fear of the Lord is riches, honor and life." (Prov. 22:4) Ask God to help you motivate others to fear God by teaching them about the Bible’s rich incentive plan.
4. The Holy Spirit helps us worship the Lord in spirit and complete truth when we fear the Lord. It is impossible to worship the Lord without a proper reverential fear of His holy name. Ask the Lord to help you grow in your respect, awe and admiration for the Lord to enhance the quality and quantity of your worship.
5. The Holy Spirit encourages us to fear the Lord in order to come underneath God’s protective care. Isaiah wrote, "Fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and will help you and will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isa. 41:10) Ask God to help you encourage others to fear the Lord so they too might enjoy all of His protective benefit package.
6. The Holy Spirit shows us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of all sorts of wisdom. (Prov. 1:7)
7. The Holy Spirit teaches us that He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him. He also hears their cries and saves them from defeat." (Psa. 143:19) Ask the Lord to help you fear God so you can see more of your desires fulfilled through His mighty power.
8. The Holy Spirit helps us make do with what we have when we fear God. Solomon wrote, "Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil." (Prov. 15:16) Ask God to help you to increase in your fear and reverence of the Lord so you are able to make do with whatever He provides.
9. The Holy Spirit helps us cleanse our minds, emotions and spirits with a healthy fear of God. (Psa. 19:9) Ask the Lord to help you sanctify your mind, will and emotions with a greater fear and respect for God.
10. The Holy Spirit encourages us to grow spiritually and bear more fruit with the fear of God. (Eph. 4:15)
11. The Holy Spirit teaches us more about God’s will for our life, relationships and ministries when we consistently fear the Lord. David wrote, "Teach me your way O Lord and I will walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." (Psa. 86:11) Ask God to help you learn more about God’s will for your personal life, relationships and ministries through a growing reverence for the Lord.