Summary: Discussion of the values of membership in the local church.
The Covenant of Membership
Countryside Baptist Church
“To passionately pursue God and express His love to others.” Matthew 22:37-40
Church Membership Covenant
Having made a personal decision to follow Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I desire to join in the mission of Countryside Baptist Church. I believe in the purpose and ministry of the church and hold to the same core values and purpose for why this local church body exists. Therefore, I covenant with my church family to:
1) Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that is being actively nurtured through the ministry of Countryside Baptist Church. This is offering my life in worship to Jesus.
“Then He (Jesus) said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself daily, take up his cross and follow me.” Luke 9:23
This was the point of Jesus coming to earth.
“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” John 3:16 (The Message)
How do you begin this experience with God?
“Say the welcoming word to God-‘Jesus is my Master’- embracing, body and soul, God’s work of doing in us what he did in raising Jesus from the dead. That’s it. You’re not ‘doing’ anything; you’re simply calling on him to do it for you. That’s salvation!”
Romans 10:9 (The Message)
2) Make a public declaration of salvation and baptism to identify with the church family around the central focus of life surrendered to Christ. This is living in Biblical fellowship.
“Those who accepted his message were baptized…” Acts 2:41
Baptism is not how we are saved, but it is the first step in obedience. It is a declaration that we choose to identify ourselves with the person of Christ and the church.
3) Participate in spiritual growth opportunities within the church to help foster a life of holy living. This is choosing to live a life of discipleship.
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:1-2a
Healthy children grow. Healthy Christians grow. Healthy churches grow.
Discipleship is how our lives rub off on one another.
4) Become actively involved in a ministry of this church body to serve in helping others know the love of Jesus. This is my ministry.
“It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” Ephesians 4:11-12
The staff of this church is not the only ministers here. God has equipped you to do things that only you can do. It is your responsibility to find out how you are equipped and to use your gifts in ministry.
• Spiritual gifts test
• Countryside Community Class (December 3-4)
Every member is a minister.
5) Actively pursue relationships with those who do not know Christ with the intention of sharing His life changing love with them. This is my evangelism.
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Studies indicate that 98% of Americans believe in God.
33% of Americans are involved in a local church.
Most people, when surveyed, said the main reason they did not attend church is that no one had invited them.
6) Support the ministry and mission of Countryside Baptist Church by giving generously of my financial resources.
“On the first day of the week, each one should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income….” 1 Corinthians 16:2a
The first step to generous giving in the church is to tithe.
A tithe is 10% of your income.
It is a biblical command:
“A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD.” (Leviticus 27:30 (NIV)
It is a practice God blesses:
“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. “Test me in this;” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing on you that you will not have room enough for it.”