Summary: It focuses on the brutal events that led up to his crucifixion. Because without His death we wouldn’t have a resurrection. And without the resurrection we wouldn’t have new life
The death Jesus died
Intro: Today is Palm Sunday. It’s the Sunday before Jesus death and resurrection. It’s the day we call the triumphant entry into Jerusalem as the promised messiah. It was the day they publicly proclaimed Him as messiah. It was the day he publicly admitted he was messiah. In such a way the Pharisees told him to stop they were afraid. They didn’t want Him king. He said the stones will cry out. I can’t stop what already is and if you won’t proclaim me king the rocks will.
* People were cheering.
* They were happy.
* The kingdom of God was ready to be established.
* But it’s funny because 1 week later these people who proclaimed Him king stood around and watched Him die a brutal death.
* Some in the crowed might have shouted crucify Him.
But what I want to focus on today is not his triumphant entry but the brutal events that led up to his crucifixion. Because without His death we wouldn’t have a resurrection. And without the resurrection we wouldn’t have new life.
I. Let’s start in the garden/He was scared
* The night before his death Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane. It’s a popular story.
* He was praying.
* The scripture tells us that his heart was troubled.
* Basically he was scared. He knew what he was facing.
* He knew what was coming and he was praying. He was praying for strength.
* He was praying probably for courage. But we know one thing for sure he was praying for the cup to be taken from Him. He was terrified.
* We know this because of the blood that the scripture says was pouring from His head.
Luke 22:44 (NASB)
44 And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.
Hema-ti-dro-sis occurs when emotional strain is so intense the capillaries near the surface of the skin burst and the resulting blood mixes with the sweat. Hence the term hes sweating blood.
So he prays lord please can you find another way. But if not its ok let your will be done.
Window: How many times do we fail here? God asks us to do something and we are unwilling because of the cost? Tithing. Evangelism.
He gets up resolved to go to the cross.
He is betrayed by Judas. Someone he trusted that’s got to hurt.
II. Then he is taken to Annas and Caiaphas.
John 18:12-14 (NIV)
12 Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him 13 and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. 14 Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it would be good if one man died for the people.
Annas was the former high priest Rome
disposed of him in A.D. 15. Now Caiaphas his son in law was the official high priest but it is recorded that much of the influence came fro Annas.
He is questioned by both annas and Caiaphas and he refuses to answer completely either of then, He says you hear all I said plainly. I spoke nothing in secret ask anyone what I said.
Luke 22:67-68 (NIV)
67 "If you are the Christ," they said, "tell us." Jesus answered, "If I tell you, you will not believe me, 68 and if I asked you, you would not answer.