Summary: We as children of God need to set aside all differences and opinions that we might have towards one another and we need to bind together in love and in unity and we need to call out the name of Jesus.
“The Essence of Unity”
- What Does Unity Mean? –
A) Definition for Unity: Oneness, harmony, agreement.
1) Oneness means just what it says, “ONE”. Now one may consist of more than one thing like for instance a car is made up by hundreds of different parts but just because it has many parts doesn’t make it more than one car.
2) Harmony can be likened to music. We all have heard many different kinds of music but music with good harmony is music that flows together to produce a nice steady smooth rhythm. Or you can liken it to the skiing instructor that said you might have a more harmonious outcome if you keep your eyes open when you ski down the slope.
3) Agreement will produce accomplishments. Working together to further a purpose or decision. To agree or to have one conclusion.
- Is Unity For Us? –
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
A) Look how David described unity in these two scriptures.
1) David starts of this chapter by saying how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. Look how David didn’t beat around the bush to proclaim the goodness and pleasantness that comes out of unity. There is no goodness that comes out of arguing with one another or talking behind ones back. Niether is there goodness that comes out of hatred and jelousy but it is out of unity that goodness flows.
2) We need to be concerned for one another. Always willing to help one another and show love and support towards one another in all circumstances. We need to unite together as a family and to have the same heartbeat, to have one interest and one soul that hungers to be united.
B) Now look at verse 2 of chapter133 of psalm. We see a more powerful illustration of just how important it is to unite together in unity. Verse 2 describes unity as “like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;”.
1) This precious anointment that the bible is referring to is anointing oil. This anointing oil when made was strongly perfumed with a fragrance that eliminated odors and replaced them with a sweet fragrant smell. Let me say that not everybody smells like a rose and you know those thorns that a rose has that are really annoying, well everybody has some some of them too.
2) Having unity is having love for one another. Meaning that there are times when you think this whole friendship thing stinks and you will have friends that will stick you time to time with some thorns that really hurt you but the bible speaks clearly to us concerning this subject.
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;