Summary: Our text is about the journey of a man who went away, but left gifts or talents to his followers to take care of his property. The Man had expectations of his followers, and upon his return from his journey he found some had did good and some not so good with his property.
Matthew 25:14-30 “The Journey”
1. The Journey 14 ‘For it is as if a man, going on a journey, obviously the text is about the end times.
• The Man’s Journey : I was born, I lived with you, I died, I arose, I ascended, I will return.
• This was Jesus’s journey. His Birth10what the angel said "I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is ChristA the Lord
• While living with us: He caused blinded eyes to see, death to speak, the lame to walk again, the dead were raised. He healed all, He helped all
• He Died a cruel death by form of scourging, and crucifixion
• He Resurrected, recall the empty tomb "Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6He is not here; he has risen!
• He ascended. 11"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."
• He will Return remember the Great Thanksgiving Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again.
2. The text is about The Journey of the servants 14 summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them;
• His servants are entrusted with Property the world 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them inA the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
3. The text shares with us the Talents given, bestowed on the Servants and their Journey.
• 15to one he gave five talents,* to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability.
• Although the word “talent” in biblical times definitely meant a unit of money, today we look at talents in different mindset.
• If we are followers of Jesus, then we are given the talent or Holy Spirit of God, This talent can grow, develop, mature. It’s our choice to grow, develop, and mature our talent.
• Notice in the text one received 5 talents, another 2, and 1. We will not all be given the same amount, the same blessings, the same skills, the same strengths, the same brain power, the same social skills. But, we have something, and that’s what matters.
4. The text shares with us the expectation of the man, who went on the Journey. Our Journey
• We cannot fall into the error of thinking that God is not interested in how we are spending the blessings given to us. It is disappointing when talent, blessings, brains and resources are squandered and under-utilized. God expects something is that true? 19After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them
• The one who received 5 talent gained five more, and the one with two The man on the journey said “Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.”
• The third servants Fate 24Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, “Master, I knew that you were a harsh man,; 25 I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. 26But his master replied, “You wicked and lazy slave! 30 throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
5. Finally, the Scripture today we learn about the Journey of Christ, the journey of the Servants, the journey we take with the Holy Spirit as our talent, and the expectation of our Journey.
• In any case, we’ve been given one thing to do: increase God’s Kingdom.
• We are to hone our skills as a follower to see every day as an opportunity to serve the Lord.
• We are called to be faithful servants not lazy, idol, sluggish, unconcerned,
• We are called to bury lazy, idleness, sluggishness, but not the talents given,
• We are called to Take time to worship, Love our neighbors, focus on our spiritual gifts, Be kind and helpful, and be demonstrate hospitality