Summary: There is a light that shines in dark places.
The Light that shines in the Dark Places 2 Peter 1:16-21
1. This text is based on eye witness accounts of who the Light is.
• This reading is convincing the non-believers of the Divinity of Christ as the Anointed one, the Christos, the Messiah Gods Son, and the Light
• 16We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. Referring to the mount of transfiguration
2. A voice from Heaven gave affirmation of the acknowledgment of who He is the Light is
• . 17For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased
3. The Disciples Peter James and John Gave Eye Witness to the Account of what they heard
• 18We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
4. There are two Highly Authoritive Foundations to tell us the importance of Christ
• It is the Testimony of God, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased
• It is the Testimony of Scripture that bare witness to the fact that Christ is The Light The anointed one
5. The text tells us we need the Light because of the Dark Places. What are the Dark Places?
• Dark Places are the absence of God in one’s life
• Dark places is the absence of Concern or care for anyone anything
• Dark places is Living a life alienated from God . Paul write in Eph 4:18They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19Having lost all sensitivity; they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
• Dark Places is Conspiring against other believers David knew others were conspiring against him Psalm 38:12Those who seek my life set their traps, those who would harm me talk of my ruin; all day long they plot deception.
• Dark Places are places, times, and moments people have forgotten God, Job writes Job 8 13Such is the destiny of all who forget God; so perishes the hope of the godless.
• Dark Places are found in those who live Hypocritical Isaiah says,13The Lord says: These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men.B
• Those who live in dark places are those who are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God as Timothy claims
6. Good News The Light Jesus is the one who shines in Dark Places Vs 19 The text tells shining in a dark place,
until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts (Check Commentary)
• When you are in Dark Places remember there is a Voice that desires to Speak and that voice is God when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory
• Elijah heard a still small voice that said, , "What are you doing here, Elijah?" You don't have to stay in the mess Elijah
• Remember the voice as the Psalmist says The voice of the LORD is over the waters The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars, The voice of the LORD strikes with flashes, The voice of the LORD shakes the desert The voice of the LORD twists the oaks
7. When you are in Dark Places remember the word of God this is My SON, He is Able
• Gods Son will be Light in the darkness He is Able to of those who alienated themselves form God
• Gods Son will be Light to those who conspire against others and He is able offer forgiveness
• Gods Son will be light to those who have forgotten God He is able to help you remember again
• Gods son will be light to those who are living hypocritical The Lord is able to make the Heart believe again
• Gods Son is Light that is able to make us lovers of God
• When one is in dark Places Gods Son is able to Calm the Storm and to be the Light
Matthew 8:26 he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.