Summary: What is the lords supper
Luke 22:14 - 20 (KJV) 14And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. 15And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: 18For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. 19And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
We come together tonight to participate in the sacrament of the “Lords Supper” It was initiated on the night of the Passover celebration of unleavened bread. This is the day that the Passover lamb would be slain.
a. To understand the Lords Supper.
i. We need to understand the Passover much better, because the two are related.
b. Different understandings of the supper
i. Most of it is because of bad theology.
ii. When we take a verse of scripture and make a whole belief on what a few words say we can cause problems. It is important to compare the whole of scripture when coming up with doctrine or statements of belief.
That’s why to truly understand the Lord’s Supper it is important to understand the Passover.
2. THE OLD TESTEMENT FORSHADOWS THE NEW TESTEMENT COMING OF CHRIST
a. Explain the Passover
b. The Israelites slaves to Egypt.
i. They cry out to God
ii. He sets them free through many miracles
iii. The last one was the big one.
1. God send the angel of death to kill the first born son of everyone living in Egypt.
iv. It wasn’t just the Egyptians. If you were a first born son this angel of death as coming for you
1. The only thing that saved you was going to be the blood of a innocent lamb.
2. Take the spotless lamb. Sacrifice it and place the blood on the door.
3. As the angel of death would come by whom ever had this lambs blood would be free
v. They also had to eat the lamb that night. All of it.
1. They had to have there cloaks tucked in, sandals on their feet and their staff in their hand as if ready to go on a journey.
2. Showing the world we know we are set free before it even happened.
vi. That night every first born son who didn’t have lambs blood on their door posts was struck down.
1. The scripture says that this was to be a lasting ordinance. Meaning forever.
3. OLD TESTEMENT SHADOWS THE NEW TESTEMENT
a. Israelites freed from slavery
i. Foreshadows our freedom from slavery to sin.
ii. Contrary to popular belief we are freed for its bondages
Romans 6:17-18 (NIV)
17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted.
18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
b. This is because Jesus became our sacrificial lamb.
i. Instead of a real lamb Jesus took its place
1. This is my body that is given for you.
2. This is the cup of the new covenant, which is poured out for you
STORY: Father Guillotine
ii. And when the time comes who ever has the blood of Christ on the doorpost of His mind, soul and spirit the angel of death will pass on by.
c. Do this in remembrance of me
i. The Lords supper replaces the Passover supper
ii. Jesus is the Lamb.
iii. We eat the bread which signifies His body (body of the Lamb)
4. IT IS STILL A LASTING SUPPER JUST MODIFIED
a. The Israelites remember what God has done for them through that lamb
b. We remember what God has done for us through the lamb of Jesus
c. Its all about Jesus
i. Its about His love for God
ii. Its about His love for humanity
iii. We are only children of God because of Christ
d. We remember the coming kingdom
i. Land of milk and honey
1. dresses ready to go
ii. We have a land of milk and honey. (The Kingdom)
1. We need to be dressed and ready to go
5. HOW SHALL WE PERFORM THE LORDS SUPPER
a. Controversy over this