Summary: Because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, we can expect to experience a visitation of the Lord in our lives today!
THE STORY OF JESUS #2: THE MINISTRY OF JESUS THE ANOINTED ONE
INTRO TO THE STORY OF JESUS:
Last week, we looked at the story of the birth of Jesus.
We don’t know much about His early life. At age 12, He was in God’s House studying the Word.
At 30, He was baptized and then tempted by the devil, and began His ministry.
Someone said once, “Preaching is easy – it’s just bragging on Jesus until He shows up!”
“Through the tender mercy of our God, with which the Dayspring from on high has visited us.” (Luke 1:78).
• Visit: “to look upon or after, to inspect, examine with the eyes in order to see how he is; to visit; to look upon in order to help or benefit; to look after, have care for, provide for.”
• We don’t just want to learn facts about Jesus, we want to experience His visitation today!
• PRAYER: Visit us Lord! Rend the Heavens and come down!
JESUS IS THE CHRIST, THE ANOINTED ONE:
“14 Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region. 15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all. 16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." 20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing." 22 So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth.” (Luke 4:14-22a).
• Here we learn that Jesus is the Christ, the Anointed One.
• The Greek word Christ is the same as the Hebrew word Messiah = the Anointed One.
• The Holy Spirit came on Him for a purpose: “God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
• “For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power.” (1 Cor. 4:20).
• Christianity isn’t just about telling stories; it’s about encountering the anointed Jesus!
EXPERIENCING THE SEVEN-FOLD MINISTRY OF JESUS:
“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.” (Isaiah 61:1-3).