Summary: The bride of Christ is the church and He is the perfect example of what every husband should be, should do, and should strive to accomplish.
The Perfect Example for Every Husband: Ephesians 5:25-28
Introduction: The bride of Christ is the church and He is the perfect example of what every husband should be, should do, and should strive to accomplish.
Paul writes, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies" (Eph. 5:25-28).
What are some of the ways that Jesus demonstrated the perfect example for every husband?
1. Jesus’ highest goal for His bride, the church, is holiness. Every husband should love his wife, not just to make her feel good, but to help her become more like Jesus. When a husband aims at bringing both himself and his wife to a greater level of spiritual maturity, He will follow in the footprints of Jesus.
2. Jesus recognized that every relationship requires constant renewal, refining, and restoration. Every husband and wife relationship demands a continued stream of care. No one who is unwilling to expend a great deal of energy in marriage should enter into this sacred contract.
3. Jesus assumed similar pains, conditions, and realities with His bride, the church. A great husband is willing to assume similar living conditions, problems, and human realities along with his wife. The husband should not try to live above the everyday realities of his wife, but share what they have in common.
4. Jesus saw His bride as a means of bringing good news to the surrounding communities. The Lord knew that the good news of forgiveness, eternal life, and abundant life would best be promoted through the life and ministry of His bride, the church. Similarly, husbands and wives make a great promotional team for the presentation of Christ’s life examples and purposes. When a husband and a wife share a ministry of love, reconciliation, and service they are drawn closer together.
5. Jesus saw His bride, the church, as possessing incalculable wealth, beauty, and dignity. Every husband who views his wife as one who is as valuable as precious jewels will cherish her every minute.
6. Jesus saw to the growth of His bride, the church. The Lord promised, "I will build my church and the gates of hell (All evil opposing forces) will not overcome it" (Matt. 16:18). Every good husband works diligently to build his wife up spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically.
7. Jesus removes diseases from His bride, the church. Every new husband carefully tends to the smallest of colds for his beloved newlywed. However, after decades of marriage many husbands are apt to just tell his wife to take an aspirin and go to bed. Not so with Jesus.
8. Jesus continues to protect, preserve, and prevent harm to come to His bride, the church. Loving husbands go out of their way to protect their wife from any unnecessary discomfort.
9. Jesus consistently admires the beauty and the worth of His bride, the church. A considerate husband is willing to constantly remind his bride of how beautiful she is. The husband’s ministry of affirmation, commendation, and thanksgiving assures the wife of His love.
Conclusion: Christian men are too easily attracted to “10 step books” to make their marriage work. Many of these tools are great as a supplement to the great fundamental need, Jesus. The problem is that so many see Jesus teachings as supplemental to scholarly books. We need to be looking at Jesus’ teachings as fundamental.