Summary: There is a prophecy concerning the end time that evil will be on the increase. We can see the fulfillment in our generation today indicating that the end has come.
THE PERILOUS TIMES
STUDY TEXTS: 2, TIMOTHY 3:1-15, JUDE 3-5
MEMORY VERSE: 2 TIM 3:1
The greatest threat to the kingdom of God and the church of Jesus Christ today is the carnal, compromising and worldly Christianity the devil is generating to destroy the faith that was once delivered to the saints. The importance of the prophecy and warning against the perilous times cannot be over emphasized because we are living in the fulfillment of the perilous times.
The purpose of this study is to further our personal commitment to holiness and the bible Christianity. It is either we are part of the perilous times and going down or we are fighting against these perilous times. We must fight in our souls, lives, families, communities, schools, churches and in every facet of life.
We shall discuss the topic under four (4) subheadings:
1. The caution against perilous times
2. The character of perilous times
3. The cure for perilous times
4. The charge about perilous times
1. THE CAUTION AGAINST PERILOUS TIMES VS 1
• The word perilous means: very dangerous, full of risk, hazardous, harmful, dreadful, threatening, to be avoided.
• The last days began at Pentecost and will continue until the second coming of Christ.
• The last days will be characterized by:
1. Acceleration and intensification of evil in the world 2 Pet 3:3, 1 John 2:18
2. A widespread collapse of the moral structure of the family and of the society in general.
3. A grievous and trying time for God’s true servants and believers.
4. Hypocritical lives and false doctrines and false religions.
5. A mighty end-time outpouring of the Holy Spirit in and through the church that has passion
6. A release of greater grace and power for believers and churches who hold fast to the
original faith Acts 4:33, Rom 5:20
2. THE CHARACTERS OF PERILOUS TIMES VS 1- 4
- It is the conduct of the people that will create the perilous times.
1. Lovers of their own self
- Selfishness and self- centeredness is the root of all destructive behavior
- Having lust of the eyes, craziness for wealth and materialism
3. Boasters, proud, highminded
- Self praise and advertisement due to possession, position and power
4. Disobedient to parents
- Disrespect and dishonoring godly parents both physically and spiritually.
5. Unthinking and unholy
- Not appreciating God in their lives to praise him and to please him.
6. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, traitors
- No family affection and lack of tender love
- Treacherous and betraying true friendship.
7. False accusers, blasphemers, despisers
- All forms of lies, evil speaking, character assassination against true believers and godliness
8. Lovers of pleasures than God
- All forms of immorality and ungodliness that satisfy the flesh
9. Having a form of godliness without power
- Being religious but not victorious above sin
- Outwardly looking good, but inwardly roffen in unrighteousness.
3. THE CURSE FOR PERILOUS TIMES VS 5-9
1. We must receive the prophecy and the warming and be conscious of it at all times.