Summary: One of the basic instincts in people is to pursue after happiness. Or a better word would be to look for joy in life. The problem is that we look for it in all the wrong places.
The pursuit of happiness
John 15:9-11 (NIV)
9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
One of the basic instincts in people is to pursue after happiness. Or a better word would be to look for joy in life. It’s natural. The problem we have is that we look for it in all the wrong places and ultimately never experience the complete joy we can have. Actually what happens most of the time is that we experience incomplete joy and tragedy? The thing we are doing to bring us joy actually turns out to be the thing that hurts us.
Teen Pregnancy Statistics - Teen Pregnancies
* Over eight hundred thousand teens become pregnant each year.
* 10% of women aged 15-19 become pregnant each year.
* 19% of women who are sexually active between the ages of 15 and 19 become pregnant each year.
* 60% of teen pregnancies happen to older teens - 18 and 19 years old.
* 34% of women get pregnant at least once before the age of 20.
* 78% of teen pregnancies are unplanned.
* Teen pregnancies are much higher in the United States than any other developed country - double that of Canada and at least four times France and Germany.
Teen Pregnancy Statistics - Teen Births
* 13% of all U.S. births are to teens.
* 78% of births to teens are to unmarried women.
* 25% of teen moms have another child within two years of their first.
Teen Pregnancy Statistics - Teen Abortion
* Nearly 40% of teen pregnancies end in abortion.
* In 1996 there were approximately 274,000 abortions among teens.
* The abortion rate among teens has been declining since 1980.
We seem to be having a problem. We see babies having babies. Now the babies wont admit they are babies until they end up pregnant. No one admits they are to young to fool around. But the reality is babies are having babies
Now why is this happening, what’s the problem?
* Now there are many causes for this problem.
* There are many social problems that are behind this issue
* Everyone will also have an answer or an opinion on what causes this problem
* Everywhere we look today sex is being sold as a commodity
* Sex is in television shows
* Sex is in the movies
* Sex is in books
* They are teaching sex in school.
o Sex education
o Lets educate them about something they are having a problem with
o But the education they get is misleading and devoid of any spiritual truth thus valueless
* We are being bombarded with sex in everything
* Movies that sell sex in every relationship that is made.
o Boy meets girl
o Have passionate feeling about each other so they have sex
* Television commercials selling jeans have sexual undertones
o Girl getting out of the shower to put on a pair of jeans they are selling
Window: A certain men’s deodorant, it’s put on and the women come running from all over.
It’s no wonder why this happens
* But sex sells