Summary: At the potters house we go to hear a message and the message is we learn we are formed, shaped and created, God wants to do a work in our life, we are a work in progress, and the message at the Potters House is molding and shaping us into his image.
"The Potters House" Jeremiah 18:1-11
1. The "Potters House" is a place to receive a Message
A. Note God told Jeremiah "GO" The message is coming when you get to the Potters House:
• 2"Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message."
2. The Message at the Potters House is here you find fashion, form, shape or create,
• ." 3So I went down to the potter's house, (The word Potter comes form a Hebrew word called Yatsar meaning to fashion , to form, to shape, to create)
• Gen 2: -- 7the LORD God formed the manE from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
A. Gods Message is He desires to form or create us to His Image
• 26Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
B. Deuteron mist claims if you will allow God to form or shape you need to consider the following :
• Deut 30:15See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. love the LORD your God, walk in his ways, keep his commands, decrees and laws; live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you
3. The Message at The Potters House is God wants to do a Work in Our life .
• “3Jeremaih said, So I went down, to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel
A. Where you are right now is not all God has, God has more its not your final resting Place
• God told Micah the place you are at is not good 10Get up, go away! For this is not your resting place, because it is defiled, it is ruined, beyond all remedy
B. Sometimes our heart says you gotta get out of the place your in and Come to a place where
• God can do a work. God warns, O house of Israel. 7If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted torn down and destroyed, 8and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the
disaster I had planned God is saying I want to fix you.
C. God's Message, Depart from your Disaster (If where you are is a road you know is disastrous)
• , `This is what the LORD says: Look! I am preparing a disaster for you and devising a plan against you. So turn from your evil ways each one of you, and reform your ways and your actions.' 12But they will reply, `It's no use. We will continue
with our own plans; each of us will follow the stubbornness of his evil heart.' "
D. Israel says to Jeremiah it is Hopeless, Useless, were weary were tired, and we will continue with our own ideas But Gods Message says It's not hopeless, you're not useless
• Isaiah 40: 30Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
4. The Message at The Potters House is we are allowed to be a Work in Progress
A. God does not expect us to show up in some perfect final form
B. God is not waiting to smash us for our sins God gives us make-overs or Do-overs
C. God will shape us into people he wants us to be Jeremiah says, 4But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred (Literally means ruined) in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.
5. The Message at The Potters House is to Turn. The word Turn is Prominent
A. . 7If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed; 8and if that nation I warned repents
(TURNS) of its evil
• 11So turn from your evil ways, each one of you, and reform your ways and your actions.'
B. v8 God Claims, 8and if that nation I warned repents (TURNS) of its evil, then I will relent(TURN) and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned , 10 if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider(TURN) the good I had intended to do for it.
C. I believe the Language of Turning is the language of Molding and shaping