Summary: The banners of God’s people are emblems of conflict and glorious victory - Ps. 20:5;
A. WHY THIS SUBJECT?
1. Current efforts of nominal Protestants to curry the favors of Rome:
a. Lutheran leaders, brushing aside many plain and direct testimonies of Martin Luther against the Papacy, seek reapproachment with Rome.
b. Methodists and other Protestants invite Roman leaders to participate in their devotional gatherings, something unheard of a few years ago.
2. What do all these things mean?
a. Was the Reformation ill-conceived?
b. Do Protestants owe an apology to the Papacy?
c. Has Rome had a change of heart toward the hated heretics - called rebels?
3. Claims of Seventh-day Adventists:
a. That it is here in answer to Bible Prophecy - Rev.12:17
b. To finish the Reformation - Acts 3:19-21; Isa. 58:1-14
B. LET US TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE REFORMATION
1. The great reason for it:
a. The apostasy following the apostolic movement -Acts 20:28, 29; 2 Tim. 4:1-6
b. The Papal supremacy was foreseen - 2 Thess. 2:1-7; Dan. 7:8-12; 8:12; Rev. 13:5-9
2. The Reform movement:
a. Was to continue until all gospel truths, brushed aside by the Papacy, would be restored to the believers - Acts 3:19-21
b. That includes the restoration of the creation Sabbath - Isa. 56:1-7; 58:13
3. The Platform of the Reformation:
a. The Bible and the Bible only.
b. The slogan of Protestant incentives.
c. A free will to make our own decision as to what is the truth.
4. Justification by faith: Rom. 5:1-6; Eph. 2:7, 8
5. Forming our own convictions about our duty to God, based upon what the Bible teaches, regardless of the theory of the church of Rome:
6. Putting the main emphasis of the doctrine "saved by grace" in deference to the works of the flesh:
7. Restoration to God’s people of all the duties and provisions of the Bible:
a. Including the Bible teaching on the nature of man- Gen. 2:15, 16; 3:1-6, 19-23; John 3:16
b. The Sabbath of the fourth commandment - Acts 20:8-11; Jas. 2:8-11; Rev. 12:17; Isa. 56:1-7; 58:1-14
C. WHAT GOD WILL ACCOMPLISH THROUGH THE REFORMATION
1. Will restore to His church all truths brushed aside or buried by the Papacy during the 1260 years of its supremacy:
a. Based upon Bible prophecy. Compare Dan. 7:25 with Rev. 13:1-18; 14:7-12
b. Paul warned the Elders of the apostasy in no uncertain language - Acts 20:20-28; 2 Thess. 2:1-7
c. This is the work of the Holy Ghost as foretold by our Lord - John 16:12, 13
d. He will prepare a people for His second coming -Mal. 4:1-4; Rev. 14:1-12
e. It will be a remnant only - Rev. 12:17; 14:12; 22:14
2. The glorious Banner of Truth:
a. God’s people will hold it high to be seen by all the inhabitants of the earth and the seas - Isa. 13:2; Ps. 60:4
b. The banners of God’s people are emblems of conflict and glorious victory - Ps. 20:5; Song of Solomon 6; 7
c. Let us do our prayerful and dedicated part to hasten the consummation of the Reformation begun by the Apostles.