Summary: A texual study of Hebrews 1
The Revelation of God in These Last Days
Hebrews Chapter One
1. Does it not make perfect since, that if God took time to created this wonderful world in which we live, and took special care in creating us, his greatest creation, that he would want to communicate with his creation?
2. The Hebrew writer is going to show that God has always revealed his wants and wishes to mankind.
3. In the Last days he does this even better.
a. We understand clearly the concept of one thing being better than another.
In 1715 King Louis XIV of France died after a reign of 72 years. He had called himself "the Great," and was the monarch who made the famous statement, "I am the state!" His court was the most magnificent in Europe, and his funeral was equally spectacular. As his body lay in state in a golden coffin, orders were given that the cathedral should be very dimly lit with only a special candle set above his coffin, to dramatize his greatness. At the memorial, thousands waited in hushed silence. Then Bishop Massilon began to speak; slowly reaching down, he snuffed out the candle and said, "Only God is great."
Today in the Word, April, 1989, p. 24.
I. Our Lord’s Power 1:1-2
a. God’s Revelation
i. God has always communicated with his creation.
1. There are three key ideas to the biblical concept of inspiration.
a. The prime mover in Inspiration is God.
(21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
b. The means through which God spoke was by the Prophet.
c. The final product of inspiration is a divinely authoritative book.
(16) All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2. Inspirations Means God breathed.
(19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
ii. God used the prophets in the Old Testament
1. Consider the great cloud of witnesses spoken of in Hebrews 11.
(1) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2. Men of faith who gave there lives for the gospel.
b. Fullness of Time
i. “Hath in these last days”
1. The New Testament writers shared this view of the last days.
(16) But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
(17) And it shall come to pass in the last days…………………
(3b) ……………..Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
(20b) ……………… but was manifest in these last times for you,
(18) Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
(18) How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.