Summary: It is very important that we worship according to he truth, but at this time we want to consider the spirit of worship
The Spirit of Worship
John 4:24; 1 Cor 14:14-15
1. It is the duty of each Christian to worship God on each first day of the week
a. Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread,and in prayers.
2. To worship God acceptably then this worship must be in spirit and in truth (Jno 4:24)
3. It is very important that we worship according to he truth, but at this time we want to consider the spirit of worship
4. One may worship according to the teachings of the Lord, but if it is not done with the proper spirit, then it is in vain.
1. What is Worship?
a. It is praise, honor, glory, reverence that is paid to the Lord
b. It is assembling to engage in those acts that God has commanded, and through which we submit to His will.
c. We do not come to pay respect to man, to honor man, to visit, to show off, but to pay homage to our creator.
2. For this to acceptable worship, it must be done with the proper spirit.
a. To worship God in spirit is to worship God with understanding
i. 1 Cor 15:14-15 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not
b. To worship God in Spirit means to do it humbly and sincerely
i. Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
3. Things that will kill the spirit of our worship
a. Getting to the worship late
b. Rushing through the meeting
i. You can’t do that with work
ii. You can’t do it with school
iii. It is not done with entertainment
iv. People who want the truth want to feast on it
c. Going for the wrong motive
i. Matt 6
4. Things that will improve the spirit of our worship
a. Live daily for Christ
i. Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
b. Study God’s Word at Home
c. Pray often to the Lord
d. Look forward to the Lord’s Day!
i. Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
e. Get your body and mind ready for worship
i. Rest your body before going to worship
ii. Forget about your work and your other problems
f. Come to worship on time
g. Come to worship God
i. Phil 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
h. Be quiet and reverent
i. Slow down some in life
j. Be involved in every phase of worship (i.e. singing, praying, serving, greeting)
k. Be happy in what you are doing
5. The fruit of spiritual worship
a. You’ll enjoy worship
b. It’ll become a greater part of your life
c. It’ll make a better person of you
d. Others will get more from it
e. God will be glorified
· Lets try to make our worship more meaningful
· Let’s get back to the spirit of worship
· Let’s pour out our very souls unto God!