Summary: We have a tendancy to quit; not God, who has a tenacious love for you.
ME/WE HOSEA 1-3
You’re a quitter! – What would you think if someone said that to you?
Yet, we are, really… when it comes to anything outside of self:
• The kid with the bat.
• Running away from home
• Suitcase (lets not embarrass ourselves) – or under roof unplug
• #1 Drivetime request – Johhny Paycheck – no intro 6 words…
• You can’t fire me, ___ ___! (last remaining power play)
Ever given up on anyone?
Ever walked out?
And if any of that makes you feel just a little silly now…
What about the times when walking out, giving up, quitting is the only respectable thing to do? When we’ve got a right! Reasons to quit!
1. Has a lot of reasons to ‘leave’
• People were at best mixing Baalism
• In effect, they were wanting to be RID of God who was their blessing
• Told Hosea to marry a promiscuous (adj!) woman, prostitute?
i. Jezreel – massacre – Auschwitz
ii. Lo-Ruhamah (not loved)
iii. Lo-Ammi (not mine)
• EXPECTED outcome – throw here out! Rather, surprising consequence! Hosea’s life forces some serious thought!
2. Has a tenaciously loyal love
• Hosea does not quit!
a. Secretly supports her? (also deprives 2.6 thornbush)
b. Buys her back (silver+barley)
c. Woos her (entices) – 2.14 therefore allure, persuade
d. “And I will live with you” - Starting over. Betrothed. 3.3
• I can be nicer, longer than you can be mean. (you say that?)
• Gomer changes because Hosea does not. Take that back to God.
• Remember the names? See 2.23!
• Bulldog tenacity hanging onto you. What do you do with that?
3. Enables and expects our devotion [we’re experts at leaving but…]
• Staying CAN be done – its doable. Nobody is telling you that.
• Hosea is real life, despite many attempts to explain away.
• MUST be – Jesus applies even to enemies..
• Our witness hinges on it. We’re called to represent Jesus!
• Dallas Willard illust – neighbor, and HARD/SPIRIT/DISCIPLINES
Few of us regard ourselves as prostitutes, right?
Do you know how tenaciously God loves you? (1Peter2.23)
What are you doing with that?
DW neighbor – you? Devotion! - If not for others, for Jesus.