Summary: A lesson based on notes from Chapter 2 (by Richard Mayhue) of Thinking Biblically! ed. by John MacArthur.
THINKING BIBLICALLY ABOUT YOUR MIND
Text: Romans 10:1-5 KJV
1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Scripture Reading: Romans 10:1-21
Introduction: “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.” Slogan of United Negro College Fund.
notes from: Think Biblically! Recovering a Biblical Worldview,
Chapter 2, Richard L. Mayhue, John MacArthur, Gen. Ed.
Two fundamental ideas:
The mind that is:
1) redemptively focused on Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (Romans 8:5-8),
and is being renewed regularly by Scripture (Romans 12:2); and
2) is then receiving a quality education (formal or informal) from the perspective
of a Christian worldview . . .
. . . will be the mind that achieves the greatest gains and experiences the least waste
However, apart from a Christian worldview there is a serious problem.
“Paul summarizes Eve’s disastrous act this way: “But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ” (2 Corinthians 11:3; cf. 1 timothy 2:14). The seduction of Eve’s mind by Satan’s deceit and Adam’s blatant disobedience resulted in the corruption of their souls and, as a result, the souls of all humans who would follow (Romans 5:12).”
“Thus the human mind was wasted by sin. Man’s mind was so debilitated that fellowship with God proved no longer humanly possible, and the ability to see and understand life from God’s perspective vanished. The human race was now estranged from its God and Creator.”
“As a result, God’s original two created human beings, and every one of their offspring, experienced a brutal reversal in their relationship with God and His world.”
1. They no longer would concern themselves with thoughts of God, but with the thinking of men
2. They no longer would have spiritual sight, but were blinded by Satan to the glory of God
4. They would no longer be alive to God, but rather were dead in their sins (Romans 8:5-11).
5. They no longer would set their affections on the things above, but on the things of the earth (Colossians 3:2).
6. They would no longer walk in light, but rather in darkness (John 12:35-36, 46).
7. They would no longer possess eternal life, but rather faced spiritual death – i.e., eternal separation from God (2 Thessalonians 1:9).