Summary: In this message we get an overview of the gifts that God can give us that we won't find anywhere else in the world.
* Introductory message to Christmas series
* Explain excitement about gifts on Christmas morning
* The best gift-giver is God, but his gifts aren’t found under a tree; we can experience them because of events that took place on the cross and because of the empty tomb
* Overview of the three specific gifts we’ll examine in the next three weeks...
1. The gift of satisfaction can’t be found under the tree
* “satisfy” = “being filled; to fill up; fill full”
1) Everyone has a need to be satisfied: “He has also set eternity in the hearts of men”
2) Eternal satisfaction comes from God alone: “I know that everything God does will endure forever”
- Who we are in Christ can never be taken away (Gal. 3:26-27)
- What we have in Christ can never be taken away (Eph. 1:3)
3) When we find our satisfaction in God, he is glorified: “God does it so that men will revere him”
2. The gift of the Holy Spirit
* The Holy Spirit as a “gift” is mentioned five times in Acts
* Explain why we cannot live without this gift...
1) Without the Spirit, we could not understand God (John 14:26; 15:26)
2) Without the Spirit, God’s power would not be available (Acts 1:8)
3) Without the Spirit, we could not worship God as he desires (John 4:23)
4) Without the Spirit, God would not lead/guide us (Acts 8:29)
5) Without the Spirit, we would have no assurance of our future with God (Eph. 4:30)
3. The gift of salvation
* Truths about this gift...
1) Salvation is a gift that every person needs (Rom. 3:23)
2) Salvation is a gift that only God can give (Eph. 2:8)
3) Salvation is a gift that keeps on giving (Rom. 8:30)
- We have been saved; We are being saved; We will be saved
4) Salvation is a gift that can never be taken away (John 10:28-29)