Summary: Message is about moments in our lives that changed us.
Transforming Moments Mark 9:2-10
1. Transforming Moment For John Wesley:
1. About a quarter before nine, while the leader was describing the change which God works through faith in Christ? I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation, and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death."
2. Transforming moment for Martin Luther: a capsule summary of Paul's message to the Romans changed Martin Luther forever. After he finally understood the phrase "righteousness from God," Luther said, "I felt myself to be reborn and to have gone through open doors into paradise. The whole of Scripture took on a new meaning . . . . This passage of Paul became to me a gateway to heaven."
3. Peter James and John were privileged but they were also as a result Obligated
2. Privileged these three chosen Wow!2 Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone.
3. Privileged these three saw the Radiance of Christ transformed before there very eyes. His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.
4. Privileged these three see Hero’s of the past alive standing before them.4And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.
5. Privileged so much they didn't know what to say." 6(He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)
6. Privileged to hear a voice saying: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"
4. It is not until later after the Transforming Moment that they know their Privilege would now become an Obligation:
1. Obligation for Peter to serve God at a Great Cost John 21:Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.Then he said to him, "Follow me!"
2. Obligation for James was the first of the twelve to face Martyrdom. Herod Acts 12: 2He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword.
3. Obligation for John sent to an Island Rev 1:9I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus
4. At my own Ordination was a transforming Moment Bishop said these words Oh what a Privilege to Hear these words: Pour out your Holy Spirit upon Gerald Send him now to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. to announce the reign of God, and to equip the church for ministry, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Driving back home I soon began to realize my privilege to be an Elder meant I also have an extreme obligation