Summary: How do we welcome Jesus by saying I am so glad to see you, come in, make yourself at home, and Now let me show you around? Martha did the welcoming but Mary did the worshipping. Which part is better?
“Welcome Jesus” Luke 10:38-42
1st thing we might do is say, "I am so glad to see you"
2nd thing we might say is, "Come right in"
3rd thing we might say is, ""Make yourself at home"
4th we may say, “Let me show you around”
1. Martha Probably said Jesus “I am so glad to see you”. “These are expressions of Joy” Vs 38 Martha opened her home to him.” Martha had many occasions she had encountered Jesus here is a few of those times
• Martha was Joyful I believe when she seen Jesus Knocking a the door
• After all Martha had Jesus teach in her home while she busied herself preparing food
• Martha was glad in JOHN 11:1-44 Jesus raised her brother Lazarus from the dead
• JOHN 12:2 Jesus visited her home just six days before His crucifixion.
• In John 12:3 We find her busy again preparing food while her sister Mary anoints Jesus' feet
with costly perfume.
• In John 12:3Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
2. Martha probably said, “Jesus Come right IN “ Your Welcome in this House ” This is
• We can be Jesus Friendly by being Receptive to Jesus’s calling by Listening 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.
• Mary Heard many things that day mainly because she tuned in to Jesus One might say she turned the distracters off like TV
• Jesus would love to receive these types of receptions:
A. "Come right in Jesus Our hearts are darkened make glad our troubled soul."
" David said, "10Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
B. "Come right in Jesus and seek us when we have gone astray"
" Job said, "23How many wrongs and sins have I committed? Show me my offense and my sin.
3. Martha may have said, I am so glad to see ya, Come on in, now"Make yourself at home"
• Hillsong sings: “You are welcome in this place God Rise up within me Living water, spirit living in me, You are welcome in this place, God of Power Love and grace saturate my soul, You are welcome in this place Holy Spirit guide me saturate my soul!”
Speaks of "Having expressions of Welcome-ness" your welcome in this place Lord
• Is it making a cup of tea and sitting down at the kitchen table to have a nice chat?
• Is it kicking your shoes off and curling up on the sofa in front of the fire?
• It says in the bible, in John chapter 15, that Jesus WANTS us to feel at home with him – these verses are from the Message version: “I am the vine, you are the branches … if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon.” (John 15:5,7)He is waiting for us to spend time with him: “Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you.” ( John 15:4) “I’ve loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you’ll remain intimately at home in my love.”
4. Finally Martha and Mary welcomed Jesus by saying “I am so glad to see ya, Come IN, Make yourself at Home, and finally Martha and Mary said, “ Let me show you around” Martha and Mary are saying Now, you can see who I am.
• Martha showed Jesus her Junk “distractions” 40 But Martha was distracted by all the
preparations that had to be made.
• Martha Showed Jesus her Worries she was upset 41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are
worried and upset about many things
• Martha Showed Jesus her complaint She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my
sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
• Jesus said, “Mary has chosen the better part which part do we chose? Do we choose to be distracted, Busy, complaining, or do we do like Mary worship?